Rough idle at low rpms - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough idle at low rpms

I've been working on my buddies truck in my spare time that he bought pretty cheap but was in need of A LOT of tlc and I'm stumped on the last issue to address. At idle it has a slight miss, in park or in gear it has a slight stumble around 1500 rpm. I installed 160cc warren injectors, new valve cover gaskets, new injector harnesses, new glow plugs, new glow plug relay, new turbo, new air filter, new fuel filter, new icp sensor, changed the oil and filter and I even changed the throttle assembly. The truck has 250,000 miles on it.

I'm thinking it's either fuel pressure related or maybe electrical like a bad idm or something. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks Preston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

first, check for codes. if no codes, run an injector buzz test. if buzz test passes, check your icp and ipr values. low icp can cause a miss. also, check injector per del's. it could even be a cam sensor issue
Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah I forgot about the dtc it's throwing, p0603 and from what I've seen it could be caused from a few things including the ecm/pcm. As far as checking for values and all that I don't have a clue how to do that but it sounds involved lol. Thanks for the reply btw.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

don't focus much on the p0603 code. i highly doubt it's relevant to your issue. are you running a tuner or chip on the truck?

as for viewing the parameters listed, it's not really involved at all. however, it is necessary of course to have a device capable of viewing them.
considering the amount of money that has been spent on the truck to fix a problem that has not yet been resolved, a device like this would have been money well spent from the get go.
typically, a device capable of reading manufacturer specific codes should be able to read these PIDs and perform a buzz test. try and see if you can borrow such a device from someone you know.

another thing you can try is removing both valve covers and running the engine. first, you want to see that all injectors are "oiling". that is, oil is spurting out of each injectors oil spouts. if you see one that is not, the injector is likely not firing. which could be an IDM issue. if they all are oiling, perform a power balance by disconnecting one injector at a time to see which cylinder has poor contribution. if a cylinder is found to have poor contribution and the injector is oiling and the valve train all appears to operating comparable to the others, i would run a compression test of that cylinder and compare it with one or two of the others
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No tuner yet, he bought the SCT flash but it keeps giving me a error when trying to tune it. I don't have a device like that or know anyone that does that I could use. Before we started on the truck he brought it to a pretty reputable shop which is how we determined mechanical wise what needed to be addressed. I might try the looking into it a little further myself as you suggested but why waste my time saving $100 to have it scanned 1 more time by someone with the proper tools. Thanks again for all the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.