Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cold Idle problem

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  machinestheman 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 7.3 power stroke.. The truck will start ok and idle for a minute and then start sputering ... if you step on the pedal it will run for 20 seconds and then die.....turn over many times and it will start but do the same thing again....if you can keep it going till the operating temp gets to normal it runs great no issues...not sure what this could be...one person said i need to replace the injector solenoid ....???

#6 ·
Are you running any anti gel additive? How cold is it when it does this? What kind of oil are you running? Synthetic/dino? Weight?

EDIT: It's pretty normal for these trucks to be slow cold. Probably has a noticeable "hiss" when it's low on power?

#9 ·
You need anti gel and conditioner. If my truck this time of year will do that if I don't run it. Also give a quick check your fuel filter cap isn't seeping a little bit. Had to tighten mine after 2000km for wat ever reason

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
could be looking at a stiction issue try some revx even if it dont fix it it cant hurt dont take my word google it and do your own research also check the fuel heater in the fuel bowl their cheap and easy to replace

#12 ·
You may want to check you glow plugs and relay. Relays are known to go bad. And there a great help up north here

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
theirs a possibility that you have one or two bad glow plugs so it takes time to warm the other cyllinders up to operate are the injectors stock or whens the last time they were checked i had a major stiction issue at 250k but i just had them rebuilt rather than try the oil additives

#16 ·
yes your gpr or glow plug relay theirs alot of writeups about replacing or testing them and doing a stancor relay mod might be something to look at

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.