Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help!! A Lot of Dirt in Fuel Bowl

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  kaya 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 2000 F350 that I purchased from SOuth Texas not too long ago. Brought it up here to Nebraska and started going through all the fluids and filters. When I went to change the fuel filter today I noticed what appeared to be red dirt in the bottom of the bowl. I am 99% sure it was that red dirt from down south and not rust. There was about an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch in the bottom. Enough to plug up the drain hole for the fuel/water bleed valve. I pulled the entire housing off and cleaned everything out with carb cleaner and am going to install it back in tomorrow. My question is where could all that dirt have come from. I have not checked my fuel tank yet cuz I ran out of light. Is there anyone else from Texas or Oklahoma area that has had this problem? Is it possible that that dust is so fine down there that it accumalates where regular dust wouldn't? Am I looking at dropping my tank because it is possibly full of dirt in the bottom? I have never seen this before and am worried that all my fuel lines, pump, injectors, etc.. may be completely screwed up. I have only had the truck for about a month and would hate to think I bought a big ol' terd!!! It seems to run fine when driving and idling.
Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
sure it's not rust? cuz it sounds like it. regardless, it came from somewhere. most likely the tank. if it were my truck, i'd drop the tank for sure considering what's at stake

#3 ·
Was it a farm/work truck? That red clay dust gets EVERYWHERE and possible it came from either the filler neck or from a transfer tank if there is/was one in the bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.