HPOP Blow out! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP Blow out!

99 f250 7.3, 270k. Replaced hpop about 50k ago with reman unit from ford. Yesterday trucl started idling rough but smoothes out when i give it go pedal. Shut truck off and got lunch
Came back out and it would not start. Cranks fast, no smoke from tailpipe. Continues crankomg in 20 second intervals. Finally 30 minutes later truck fired up. Had to give it go pedal to get it going. Immediately notice smoke from under hood and run out to check
Engine started to snarl. Oil was blowing out in valley like fire hose. I immediately shut it down.

Upon inspection i found the rear cover of hpop laying in valley. Snap ring nowhere to be found. Rear of pump is blown off like snap ring tore groove out.

Has anyone got an idea as to what is going on? Could it be as simple as a bad pump or do i have a blockage somewhere in my hpo system? If anyone has any input i would greatly appreciate it.

Im tearing into it this morning and would hate to put another $650 pump on it and have it blow out too.

Thanks

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you have excess pressure in the hpo system, like say a stuck ipr valve, or blockage which increases pressure, you'll notice it with rpm increase. if rpm did not increase substantially before the occurrence, i'd say there was just a problem with the pump and not excess pressure
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 AM

I took pump off yesterday and inspected everything. I disassembled IPR and found a good amount of buildup inside. I think this may have been my problem. After cleaning up pump i noticed that hole for passenger side hpo stc fitting had been helicoiled. The bevel that o ring seats to was no longer there which explains why pump was leaking since the day i put it in even after changing the fittings twice.
Dont think this has anything to do with my pump failure, just a heads up about the quality of some reman ford parts. I took the pump up to my stealer and he admitted it should have never passed inspection let alone be sold to a customer but "regrettably" he could not replace my 10 month old pump because it was outside of 12000 mile warranty...

I originally changed pumps because my old one was not making good pressure anymore. Luckily i never returned the core.

Ive taken the internals from new pump and put them in old housing and got me a seal kit from the international dealer. Pump is back in and i hope to get her fired up today.....

Im replacing a long time leaky water pump and glow plugs ive needed for the past 2 years while ive got the hood up.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM

did you ever determine the cause for the blow out. Same thing has happened to me------twice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.