No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Start

On a 10 degree morning truck starts fine, runs for about 2 mins then starts to loap and dies and has not started since. Turns over just fine but will not give a hint of a start. Cam sensor has been replaced with no results. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That sounds like a classic bad sensor. As it gets warmer it craps-out. If there's anyway possible you can get a good scanner on it (forget the generic OBD-II ones, they won't work) and monitor the sensors (like the IPR and ICP) I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them going bad (especially the IPR).

Take a look at them both, try unplugging the ICP (look for evidence of oil seeping through it into the connector) and make sure the IPR still has the "tin nut", that secures the coil over it, on (they will vibrate off and fall into the valley). See if the engine runs with the ICP unplugged (then the PCM will set a default value for the IPR to run on) as evidence your problem is a bad ICP.

You've been a member since 2008, so I'm assuming you know what, and where, the ICP & IPR are. If not, I'll get you a pic (IPR by the fuel bowl, low in the valley, ICP at the front of the drivers head towards the fuel bowl)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks noRalPh

Thanks for the info, I will check these out and see where we go
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The ICP sensor is full of oil and my Flashpaq tuner diagnosstics reader says it is out of spec and reading very low. Will this keep it from starting? The IPR appears to be good.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM

it can yes.
just unplug the icp and try and start the truck.. if it starts and runs well then get yourself s new icp.
( i had great luck with my icp from NAPA tho others might like other brands... just whatever you do stay away from o'reilly
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did unplug the icp but there was still no hint of a start. There is fuel in the bowl and there is nothing coming from the tail pipe when trying to start
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 PM

for kicks test your gpr
make sure key on that both big posts on the gpr are getting power

also on the back side of the fuel bowl there is a drain valve... open it and then roll the key on... does fuel pour out on the ground? just want to make sure the fp is working.

lastly did you check your fuzes?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know the fuses are all good. Will check the gpr and then check fuel out of bowl with key. Let ya'll know tommorrow. Thanks alot for your help!!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if the problem were GP related, you'd have smoke huffing out the tail when cranking.

OP, does the oil pressure gauge rise when you crank? your low ICP code is pointing towards a HPO leak or fault in the hpo system.

what i'd do: first replace the icp sensor. it's not the cause of your no start, but must be replaced in order to get an accurate reading for testing. next, you'll need a device capable of monitoring your icp pressure and ipr duty cycle while cranking. if icp is below 500psi cranking while ipr is at 85%, there is a either a hpo leak, or the ipr valve is stuck/faulty.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The oil pressure gauge does not move while trying to start. There was a small puddle of oil on the ground after this happend that appeared to be coming from what I think is the oil cooler. Has never leaked or used oil. It was also 6qts low which is also a first. Has never used oil between oil changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.