01 F250 7.3 issues after engine replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 F250 7.3 issues after engine replacement, Code 1316 always on

I have a 2001 F250 that had a couple cylinders low on compression. I came across an 02 F350 2WD with a good 7.3 and 180000 miles. I bought the truck and drove it about 600 miles to make sure it started good and ran well before having the engines swapped. I had an independent mechanic shop do the swap, change fuel and oil and filters. I picked up the truck 2 weeks ago and the water temp gauge wasn't working, and service engine light on. (It's been on intermittently since I've had it for 2 years now.) I changed the water temp sender with the one from the old engine, and it works fine. (Apparently the 02 dash cluster is different, I know it has a digital odometer.)
I brought it back to the shop to have the codes checked and he came up with 1316? Injector drive module. ( I believe this code's been in there since I got the truck with 112000 miles!) He suggested taking the computer and idm out of the donor truck and putting it into mine. Went to get it today and now the water in fuel light is on, and 3 miles later the service engine light is back on. We've drained fuel out of the filter canister 6 times and can't see any water in it. Where is this sensor located? Maybe my dash cluster isn't compatible with this computer?
I've had 4 idm's on this truck since I've owned it, only 6000 miles driven. I had a Ford dealer completely test the wiring harness and they couldn't seem to come with a solution either. At that time they also replaced all the injectors, glow plugs, and valve cover harnesses. When they found the low compression I told them low compression shouldn't make these codes keep showing up. If they would have put in a new engine the codes would most likely still be there. They agreed with me. They basically gave up and said I needed a new engine.
All of the components of the 02 truck are in my 01 now. The 02 never lit the service engine light once.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by dragon71; 01-26-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 AM

Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 PM

Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Gee, I seriously can't believe that nobody has an idea on this truck. I was told this was the place to go for Ford problems.
This truck has been in the shop for a month now. They have checked every wire from the valve covers to the drive module and they say they are good. They even called the Ford dealer who worked on it before, and they said they don't want to work on it either. They did put the original computer back in and it fixed the water in fuel light. Now if we could just get the code 1316 to stop.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is it running ok? Also is there any kind of tuner installed in there?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 AM

No tuner in it. The truck runs fine, starts good and no blue smoke like the previous engine(s). It seems to kick the light on when accelerating the most, bust sometimes just sitting there idling it will flash also. The only thing we transferred from the old engine were the injectors and glow plugs. The injectors were new from Ford about 6000 miles ago. They buzz test good according to the shop. Like I mentioned before, the old truck this engine came out of never lit the service engine light once in 600 miles of driving it.

Last edited by dragon71; 01-25-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 AM

01 F250 7.3 issues after engine replacement

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I know the light is annoying, but if its working good then why mess with it and dump money into it.

But from my experience, if you get a code upon hard accel then it is usually in the hpop system. Most of the time it's the icp, but can be the ipr or the hpop is getting weak. It's best to put it on a scan tool and check the pressures.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM

If it's the hpop then why does it do it with all 3 engines that heve been in there? The engine that was in it when I bought the truck, the first used one which turned out to be not a whole lot better than the original engine, and now this engine besides? Has to be in the truck wiring or possibly bad injectors. Can they be bad and still pass the buzz test?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 AM

01 F250 7.3 issues after engine replacement

Yep they can be bad even if they buzz. All the buzz test does is determine that the solenoids on each injector are working. You need to run a cylinder contribution test.

How many miles are on that set of injectors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.