dealership scan advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dealership scan advice

I know that this subject has been beaten into the ground and I've tried to do as much research on it as I can but I'm at my wits end with my trucks cold weather starting issues. First of all I've done everything recommend by everyone on this forum and here is what I've done or checked, batteries are good and about a year old, new stancor (about month old), last winter new glow plugs and undercover harness, recent fuel filter and oil change (synthetic 5-40), I tested gpr/glow plugs to make sure I did it correctly and only one glow plug (drivers/closest to cab) not giving good #'s. I should of written down the #'s after each time I tested the gp's and gpr because someone is going to ask what I came up with but I didn't but they came up good compared to testing procedures others have posted on here. The truck starts fine in the summer (no smoke) but starts showing problems when it starts sitting out in 40 degree weather overnight and gets worse as it gets colder with white smoke when trying to start, it starts fine when plugged in, my worry is that I work long shifts (10-12 hours) and I can't plug it in at work so I have to go out at lunch and start and warm it up or risk it not starting after sitting all day at work.

So on to my question, if everything that I just mentioned above is good (which I'm really sure is because I've tested and retested), what would you look at next? low compression?, injectors?, hpop? other? I don't have or know of anyone that has an autoengineuity so I was thinking of taking it to the dealership to get scanned. And I know this is a dumb question but what all will their scan test? I assume the hpop and injectors but a compression test would be separate test? (and again I assume pretty expensive for them to do) if I'm going down the wrong road please tell me as I don't have the money to start throwing at it. And if anyone knows of a reputable diesel shop in the south Kansas city area I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

how did you test the GPR? did you try jumping the gpr cold? how do you know it's being commanded on?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I used a multimeter first to check the batteries, then from a ground to the always hot post, with the key on from ground to the opposite post, and then ground to the red wire post. I knew it was good being its new but I checked anyway, I also used the multimeter to check the harness. I don't remember if in my signature I mentioned it has 290k on it, I bought it with 190k and as far as I know it has the original injectors although I put new injector o-rings this past summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.