*Cold Start* good then dies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
*Cold Start* good then dies

01 7.3 if i plug it up or don't it will fire right up no matter how cold it is but if i don't rev it up for a second it just dies then it will NOT start back without starting fluid. now if i rev it up for a second when it cranks its fine.... but also when i don't rev it and it dies it takes 10 min to get it going again and the rest of the day its hard to start cold or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1st. Throw the starting fluid away.

2nd. How cold is cold for you?

You need to make sure you GP's and GP system is in check. You need a clean fuel filter and low viscosity/weight oil if you are in a northern "cold" climate.

Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

starting fluid is horrible, horrible, horrible. never use it on one of these engines.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 AM

what temps outside are we dealing with?
how long does the truck sit before you need to rev it just after starting it to make sure it will idle?
does it help if you use the block heater?
how many miles are on the truck?
when you start the truck cold what color is the smoke out of the tailpipe and is it excessive while cranking or running at first?

I understand the use of the ether when you feel out of options however unlike these other guys I will explain what they did not.

these engines have no throttle plates so they are essentially at wide open throttle at all times limited only by the amount of fuel they are given.

if you are in a position where you must use ether remember this.

1. if you use to much ether you can experience "engine run away" where the rpm's climb so high so fast that you will see your Tach peg out and even if you turn your key off you will watch your engine blow apart due to hitting 7k rpm on a cold start.

2. the use of ether can cause pre ignition because fuel is in the cylinder earlier than the injector would put it in there and if it fires hard enough it can actually bend a connecting rod.

either way you look at it the use of ether must be a last resort.

I wont tell you not to use it...hell I have on my truck.... just keep that information in mind next time.

anyway knowing the answers to those questions will help us give you a direction to start.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Real issue with using either in our trucks is the fact we have Glow Plugs (they get almost White Hot in there) and because either is So Much more volatile than fuel, that preignition, and the damage that comes with it, is all the more likely.

Be Smart, Don't Ever Use It! Especially when there are other, safer, alternatives to checking for a defueled condition. Many common aerosol products you now have use Propane as the "charge" (WD40-BrakeClean-etc) and will be a better substitute.

If you HAVE to use either to clear a condition, simply remove one of the sm. wires from the GPR first...
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
The Real issue with using either in our trucks is the fact we have Glow Plugs (they get almost White Hot in there) and because either is So Much more volatile than fuel, that preignition, and the damage that comes with it, is all the more likely.

Be Smart, Don't Ever Use It! Especially when there are other, safer, alternatives to checking for a defueled condition. Many common aerosol products you now have use Propane as the "charge" (WD40-BrakeClean-etc) and will be a better substitute.

If you HAVE to use either to clear a condition, simply remove one of the sm. wires from the GPR first...
This. Listen to the man.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 PM

op, first, check the codes.
if none present, before attempting to start in the morning, remove the oil pressure sender on the HPO reservoir at the front of the engine. peer into the threaded hole to observe oil level. there should be oil no lower than .5"-1" from the top of the reservoir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.