Wont STart in cold weather - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wont STart in cold weather

I have a 2000 7.3l and I have changed out all of the glow plugs and glow plug relay, and new batteries. I am still having trouble starting the truck when the temperature drops below 20 degrees, I live in kansas so I am not sure if they mix the fuel here for cold weather. SHouldt the fuel bowl heater warm the fuel enough to stop it from getting gel'd? Currently my truck wont even try to run it just turns over. I have chest all the of volts and ohms and everything is where it is supposed to be. as soon as the temo outside rises above 20 or the sun hits it for a little while it starts right up but with idle rough for 10-15 seconds then smooth out. ANy help would be great

THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what happens if you plug your block heater in
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 PM

in it starts up when you do it may be injectors or the glo plug relay is not getting power
Old 12-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I plug it in every night and it does not help if it gets below 20, honestly I dont think it makes a difference if i plug it in either way. and i ran the volt meter on the relay and I an getting 10-12 volts for 1-2 minutes across the relay when the key is on.

WOuld the injectors just be sticking? or could it actually be think fuel and/or thick oil
Old 12-24-2012, 12:24 PM

being in texas i use the thick oil i have had a starting problem in the cold because the injectors were leaking down but the block heater helped do you have excessive smoking or does it seem like there is a miss when accelerating

i have heard of thick oil making it hard starting but not that it wont start you could try thin oil and the block heater also is has the fuel filter been changed lately
Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM

how many miles are on the truck
Old 12-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel filter has about 4k on it, glow plugs and relay are about 200 miles old. truck has 250k on it. I plug it in everynight and would think that would be enough to keep the oil warmed up. When i let it sit and let the glow plugs warm up for 30 seconds then turn it off and then back on the turn it over, it just turns, no real smoke is noticable and it never acts like its even trying to fire. I know some of the fleet places around here add a fuel additive to lower the temp at which the fuerl gels at, but they dont plug it in and my fuel bowel heater is working to my knowledge. by that i mean i am not blowing fuses. when the truck does start up it runs without a problem, no miss fires, no extra smoke, really no smoke unless i put the pedal to the floor, my only oil leak is eatiher rear main or the back passenger oil raiol plug since I have changes every other oring in the truck out.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM

have you ever replaced the injectors
Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 PM

it sounds like you are not getting fuel or the injectors are not firing you might take it to the dealer and get a diagnostic run on it an then fix u=it your self or buy this Ford Powerstroke Auto Enginuity Total Scanner Bundle Auto-SP03
Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

to my knowledge the fuel injectors have never been changed. ok so it could be the fuel getting gel'd over night. ill try to sort that one out first. I just didnt know if the fuel bowl heater should stop that or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.