Truck lopes and dies after Dp Tuner install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck lopes and dies after Dp Tuner install

Hello all, First post, thanks in advance for any advice

Im planning on contacting dp but no one is open till after the holidays so ill see if anyone can help. I have a 01 CC shortbed 4x4 auto 171k on the clock, 7.3 PSD of course. Yesterday i installed a 6637 intake, ccv mod and a F5 Dp tuner. After complete i turned key on WTS light went out and Dp tuner came on in position 1 and it fires and lopes horrible and then dies. I tried this several times and it did the same thing everytime. No SES light, starts hard, lopes and dies. So i unplugged tuner and truck fires up and idles perfect. Took the tuner and re-cleaned the PCM posts and i have copper showing so i believe it to be pretty clean. I reinstalled tuner and same thing, lopes and dies. After a couple of tries i pushed the throttle about 3/4 and it came out of it and idled great, took it for a test run with no problems, (alot more power than superchips that i just took off). So shut it off few times and it starts right back up no problem. This morning, 22 degrees F, same crap lopes and dies till you give it a bunch of throttle, then no problems. Seems after it warms up its fine but i never had any cold start issues with the superchips, it always fired right up no matter how cold, oh i tried unhooking the ICP but that didnt help, but that was the only time i get a SES light. Thanks

Dont know if sig is working yet so
01 Crew 4x4 auto shortbed
6637 with ccv mod from Riff Raff
straightpiped
315/75-16s on Weld Rims
DP Tuner F5 60tow 80e 100p 1100 high idle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: So i removed the tuner again and truck started and died a few times so its not the tuner. Plugged it in overnight and it started right up the next morning and idled fine, so i checked the gpr and it appears to be good so i must have a glow plug or 2 out. But here is another question, since ive added the 6637, ccv mod, and dp tuner ive developed a pretty good oil leak in the driveway. Ive only put about 50 miles on these mods and its alway been dry underneath but now ive got a basketball sized oil puddle underneath from the back of the engine, what would be causing the sudden oil leak?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I haven't done the CCV mod yet, but where is it venting to now that you have done it?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the ccv mod is where you flip the doghouse and reroute the ccv to somewhere else. usually you have a hose that just runs to the ground. its located on the top of the drivers side valve cover. its attached the intake tube
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes I understand what the mod is, I was asking the OP where he routed his line to. As in where is it now venting at. I was going to ask if it could be possible that the oil spot he sees in his driveway is due to where he is now venting.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine is routed over master cylinder straight down to the frame rail open vented, not my oil leak, it appears I have a couple little puddles in the valley, just don't know why its leaking now, doesn't look like hpop
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStroker View Post
Hello all, First post, thanks in advance for any advice

Im planning on contacting dp but no one is open till after the holidays so ill see if anyone can help. I have a 01 CC shortbed 4x4 auto 171k on the clock, 7.3 PSD of course. Yesterday i installed a 6637 intake, ccv mod and a F5 Dp tuner. After complete i turned key on WTS light went out and Dp tuner came on in position 1 and it fires and lopes horrible and then dies. I tried this several times and it did the same thing everytime. No SES light, starts hard, lopes and dies. So i unplugged tuner and truck fires up and idles perfect. Took the tuner and re-cleaned the PCM posts and i have copper showing so i believe it to be pretty clean. I reinstalled tuner and same thing, lopes and dies. After a couple of tries i pushed the throttle about 3/4 and it came out of it and idled great, took it for a test run with no problems, (alot more power than superchips that i just took off). So shut it off few times and it starts right back up no problem. This morning, 22 degrees F, same crap lopes and dies till you give it a bunch of throttle, then no problems. Seems after it warms up its fine but i never had any cold start issues with the superchips, it always fired right up no matter how cold, oh i tried unhooking the ICP but that didnt help, but that was the only time i get a SES light. Thanks

Dont know if sig is working yet so
01 Crew 4x4 auto shortbed
6637 with ccv mod from Riff Raff
straightpiped
315/75-16s on Weld Rims
DP Tuner F5 60tow 80e 100p 1100 high idle
You should not see copper on the board. It should just be tin. I do not think this is your issue, but I just thought you should know.

Quote:
Update: So i removed the tuner again and truck started and died a few times so its not the tuner. Plugged it in overnight and it started right up the next morning and idled fine, so i checked the gpr and it appears to be good so i must have a glow plug or 2 out. But here is another question, since ive added the 6637, ccv mod, and dp tuner ive developed a pretty good oil leak in the driveway. Ive only put about 50 miles on these mods and its alway been dry underneath but now ive got a basketball sized oil puddle underneath from the back of the engine, what would be causing the sudden oil leak?
Is it smoking white when it fires?

You need to find out where the oil is coming from. Clean the whole engine valley, start the truck up, and look down in the valley. You should see where it is leaking.

Quote:
Mine is routed over master cylinder straight down to the frame rail open vented, not my oil leak, it appears I have a couple little puddles in the valley, just don't know why its leaking now, doesn't look like hpop
There are many places it can leak from. Like I said, clean it all up and watch for the leak.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The posts are tin but i do have a slight amount of copper shining through just like the install directions on your website.

It puffs a small cloud of black if i start it on the 80e setting, if i dont plug it in and try to start it on 80e and give it some throttle it rolls black out. Stock setting produces no smoke on start up no matter what.

I am going to do some more investigating on my leak when there isnt 8 inches of snow on the ground and a high of 23*. I hate working on stuff in the cold!! But does the tuner increase oil pressure in the hpop? Maybe thats why im noticing more of leak since the tuner install?

Last edited by KsStroker; 01-01-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
The posts are tin but i do have a slight amount of copper shining through just like the install directions on your website.

It puffs a small cloud of black if i start it on the 80e setting, if i dont plug it in and try to start it on 80e and give it some throttle it rolls black out. Stock setting produces no smoke on start up no matter what.

I am going to do some more investigating on my leak when there isnt 8 inches of snow on the ground and a high of 23*. I hate working on stuff in the cold!! But does the tuner increase oil pressure in the hpop? Maybe thats why im noticing more of leak since the tuner install?
A small amount of copper is okay. Just not to the point where you cannot get a good contact.

A small amount of black smoke on start-up is okay/normal with a tuner.

I agree, working on things in the cold is no fun. Yes, oil pressure at idle is increased. However, it is not enough of an increase to create a leak. You will actually probably have quite a bit more high pressure oil at WOT when you are in a stock setting compared to a tune. The reason for this is because the injectors do not go through as much oil when you are in a stock setting, therefor oil pressure is more easily held.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.