No Start SES Light, have tach new cps, can't load codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Start SES Light, have tach new cps, can't load codes

2000 F350, icp unplugged, looks oily, ordered new one. won't run unplugged. replaced cps, wiggled uvc harness nothing. can't pull codes. fuse to outlet and pcm good. No CEL, have tach on crank. checked connection on ipr...

unhooked batteries left PCM reset it ran fine, no SES, ran for about 5 mins then SES and died. Repeated PCM reset but still SES, can't pull code and no start.

Tried cheap hand held OBD and also Snap On, still can't pull code, won't link...
when running for 5 min computer would link, no codes came up.

help?... a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

so you get no cel or wts light when the problem occurs?
this is a pcm issue.
did you check your powers and grounds at the pcm?
did you check the pcm relay?
checked both underhood and under dash pcm fuses?

check for powers and grounds at the pcm. use a pin out. sounds like a bad ground, since it resets and then loses connection. some form of resistance anyways
Old 12-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checked relays

I will check again. I switched relays with no change checked all fuses too. When the wind stops blowing will check pin out.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got it started. SES light still on. Charged both batteries individually, plugged icp sensor back in (to new sensor) after spraying contact cleaner into pig tail. Had truck plugged in for about 4 hours. cranked after oil pressure came up truck started. SES stayed on. Truck runs good. Doesn't show any codes but SES light still on. Also noticed big oil leak on passenger side of pan after it was running. Appears to be oil level sensor?... Looks like plastic nut holding it in. Will investigate, don't know if it was related to the previous issue.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First thing, DO NOT TIGHTEN THAT NUT!!! (it's where the dipstick enters the pan - right?) There is no oil level sensor, it's not part of your problem, you may have a leak there. This is a tricky fix and, if you do it wrong, you may have to pull the engine to undo your mistake...

Read here to know more;

FML - seriously
I Think I Just ****** Myself... HELP
Dipstick Tube Oring Repair - Ford Diesel Power Forums

And this;

Next, your light has come on, there Are Codes!. You just aren't using the right equipment (Generics don't work) or the Snap-On, which should work, isn't configured properly. Our trucks are not, strictly, OBD-II. See if the professional scanner has a place to change it to something like interface type: j1850 pwm. Once you figure out how to get the scanner to communicate the code that set the light will direct you to your problem...

Good Luck!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its chilly here in Southern Ohio and the truck is outside. Finally got some Carharts on and checked it. Got a new O ring and nut from Ford for about $19.00. Now need to make a little gasket or use ultra gray on the outside. I did get the truck running. I plugged it in, but also with electrical cleaner sprayed the pigtail to the icp sensor, also installed another new battery. After oil pressure comes up truck and wts light truck will start. I've only got about 5k on new injectors so they should be good. SES light still on though. I did a PCM reset but the same. I appreciate the reply above and the link to the video nice job. Also learned something about the the steering/brake connection, which I suspected but wasn't for sure about. As my PS pump was growling and I had no front brakes!.. Rear wheels were hopping trying to stop the truck... thanks again... we will see were it goes from here, now at least I can get it up on a rack and in a heated building. I did tighten the nut, but only with channel locks and enough to keep big gobs of oil from dripping out.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The nut had fallen completely off the dipstick adapter. I put it back on for fear the adapter would fall in the pan or the trip to the garage. Reading the horror stories on here I would have freaked...
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update...several issues to attack. 1..flushed hydro boost. 2. replaced master cylinder 3. replaced VSS in rear pumpkin. all to eliminate wheel hop on braking... had all new pads. and all rotors turned prior to hopping... so after doing all the aboved... visually inspected each rotor on the truck spinning and the left rear was warped... bought a new one.. I had this to local garage, ford garage.. all missed the rotor.

Scanned the SES with a Snap On scanner, code p0470, haven't messed with the EBP sensor yet, but at 200k miles I'm sure there is soot in there.

Will tackle the oil leak at the dipstick when I have some lift and heated garage time. Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.