truck dying when headlights turned on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck dying when headlights turned on

Hey guys I noticed a problem recently now that I have been driving the truck more. Once in awhile, Id say half of the time when I go out at night I start the truck and then if I turn on my headlights the truck dies. The ses light comes on but, I just turn the key off and back and it starts up just like normal. I did notice one time when it did it the OD light stayed lit up on the shifter, what exactly does that mean? Any idea whats causing the truck to die? Not really a big deal if I turn them on the start the truck but if Im driving and have to turn on the lights I dont want the truck to die going down the road. Any help appreciated thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM

Also, got alt tested and he said it was close to going on soon so I had it rebuilt. Still doing it so my buddy is gonna warranty my batteries at oriellys even if they dont test bad, but I dont think thats my issue. guy who rebuilt the alternator at the auto electric shop said something behind the dash is probably loose?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM

I had a bad ground causing some funny stuff like that behind my dash. Would be a good place to start. Or check your fuses under dash. I had one blow and it was pandemonium inside the truck with the dash lights and door locks going crazy.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Will check fuses. Where are the grounds under the dash?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are they HID headlights by any chance?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM

yes they are, I didnt think that would be an issue with them using less power than normal headlights
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 AM

They Do use much less power, but the generate huge amounts of RF interference from the HV Ballasts. I see you have a PHP chip and I don't know of an issue there but what you describe is common with those that use a DPTuner. Maybe you could see if it still happens without the chip.

You could also try to suppress the RF with Ferrite Beads (if it turns-out to be an RF issue). Maybe temporally connect your filament bulbs back as a test.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM

I will give that a shot. I think you may be on to something, I have the same kits in my cobra and saturn as well, but neither have a chip. Its just funny cause it didnt do it for the first 3 months I have had the hids, but then again I only drive it once a week maybe its just chance. Sometimes it will bog almost to the point of dying, like really low rpms, and other times it just dies. Might be the hids after all
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
They Do use much less power, but the generate huge amounts of RF interference from the HV Ballasts. I see you have a PHP chip and I don't know of an issue there but what you describe is common with those that use a DPTuner. Maybe you could see if it still happens without the chip.

You could also try to suppress the RF with Ferrite Beads (if it turns-out to be an RF issue). Maybe temporally connect your filament bulbs back as a test.
My brother ordered me some beads at work, he said they is different ranges or something though. Does that matter?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Gee, I'm not sure, I've never seen much of a variety. They're just rings or 2-piece blocks (in a plastic cage) of a iron composition (maybe powered metal) that you put over wires (you may have seen them on computer cables or monitor cables). I never though about differing strengths, just sizes for the cable diameter.

I wish I knew more I'm sure anything would help though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.