So Close...no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So Close...no start

The rundown...I bought 2000 F350 7.3 knowing it had an engine issue. I thought that it was just going to be a head gasket. At the time it was running but had a bad knock to it. Well it ended up being a cracked block. Bought another block & had it rebuilt with good parts. I had cleaned and polished all the parts to put back on the new engine, including all new gaskets of course. I have sense been trying to figure out why it won't start. I have read just about all of the posts on this site...It seems like!
*I did have a ipr sensor issue...it kept draining my reservoir trying to start the truck. Took it out and cleaned it thoroughly, and that took care of that problem.
*One new battery; the other was tested and okay. Although I have been keeping them charged due to the on going no start or try to start issues.
*Checked my uvch gp plugs...they tested about 6 ohms
*Replaced all 8 gps even though only 3 where bad. No start
*Truck came with an aftermarket chip(while trying to start it was throwing black smoke out exhaust...I have pulled it out and know just getting white exhaust. I'm guessing it was some how giving too much fuel somehow).
*I changed out my fuel pump with a new one thinking that maybe it could be that. My fuel bowl seems to be remaining full with a new filter of course. The fuel tank is just about 1/2 tank. No start. Have not installed the hitch mod yet. Could this be an my issue????
*Replace the original cps with a new one that was in the glove box, then swapped it again with the original. No start
*Replaced the intake air heater relay because it wasn't working
*I have tried pulling the icp sensor plug off...still no start...have not replaced
Been checking dtc every time I replace or pull something off; but the only thing that has popped up was the "Keep alive memory" due to the chip, and the "icp out of parameter" I think is what it said when I unplugged it trying to get it running.
*Got really desperate and shot one squirt of ether; started almost all the way but didn't run/died.
Been working on this truck for quite a while now(Months) and now at the starting stages but she won't start. Anyone have an idea what I have missed???????
2000 F350 7.3, zero miles on engine. 237K on chassis
Please help me Thank you all in advance; I love this site; you have all helped me get to the point that I am now. If I can just get this beast up and running...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The wts light coming on koeo?

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the WTS with KOEO. The pressure gauge is also holding at about half while trying to start.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Maybe just air in the lines still?

What is icp cranking

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How do I get the air out of the lines? Just keep cranking?
How do I check the icp? Multi tester?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM

follow my thread... sounds about the same

2000 F350 7.3 4X4 No Start

check HPOP level
check batt cables / connections
(remember on these trucks you should replace batts in pairs otherwise the old one will shorten the life of the new one)
check GRP voltage in and out for voltage drop

also what temp is it outside? does it help if you plug in the block heater overnight? what is the power to the ECM while cranking?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was able to an AE plugged in. Codes showing: High to low side open on all injectors except #1 & #5. Ohmed out the wires from the IDM to the main harness mounted on drivers side valve cover. And also showing High side open bank 2.

I have replaced vc gaskets, uvch, and soldered new vc pigtails. AE is still showing high to low side open & high side open bank 2.

Does this mean my IDM is the issue? Please help. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 AM

at the IDM you can ohm through the harness-injectors-and back.. are you reading 2-4 ohms?

ohm out each injector at the IDM harness. if any injector falls outside 2-4 ohms then I would say look over the wiring from the IDM harness end to the UVCH and if all looks good then the solenoid on that injector is bugging out.(since you replaced everything else)

if everything ohms out good then I would suspect an internal issue in the IDM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Pulled VC off, removed all eight injector solenoids and all ohm at 2.9
Then I checked my injector armature screw/plate...all were loose except 1 & 5.
I finger tightened the remaining six injector armature screws with a 16-14 gauge double female electrical connector. The hard plastic sleeve was a tight fit as I was able to push while tightening. Some of the armature plates I had to actually rotate clockwise after tightening with the electrical connector until .004 was meet. Then double checked the armature plate clearance with a feeler gauge...now all of my injectors pass with no more than .004
Put everything back together and the truck started up. YAAAAAhhhhhh!!!
She is running a little rough, no power, I can't hear the turbo spooling, and I have might have waste gate issue...making a swooshing sound.
Attached Thumbnails
So Close...no start-16-14-electrical-end.jpg   So Close...no start-16-14-gauge-electrical-connector.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM

You won't hear the wastegate. That's probably the EBPV.

That's so weird that's what it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.