What one to unplug ebpv or ebps ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What one to unplug ebpv or ebps ?

my truck was hissing really bad and would take forever to warm up to drive..

I unhooked the ebps and everything seems to be good, no more hissing..

but I'm told not to unhook the ebps and to unhook the ebpv ??

could someone explain

the steel hose coming from under the ebps has a big hole and is rotted out and to cold to do the repair " as seen in the 3rd photo " ... will it hurt anything to leave it be till summer when the weather is warm ? I just don't want to have any problems there...

should I leave the ebps unhooked?

should I plug it back in and unhook the ebpv ?

the van is a 1999 e450 7.3 16 foot

photo below is the van and the thing I unhooked. also a photo of the big hole in the steel line
Attached Thumbnails
What one to unplug ebpv or ebps ?-ricksbigtruck.jpg   What one to unplug ebpv or ebps ?-unplug.jpg   What one to unplug ebpv or ebps ?-img_20121201_165456.jpg  

Last edited by lndn; 12-02-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and thank you for all the help
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Unplug the ebpv. You're probly gonna want to get that hole fixed, its definitely not helping performance

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
Old 12-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks but I'm not sure what the benefit's are by unhooking the ebpv, when I have unhooked the ebps and seems to have fixed the big air sound... could someone explain?

and when I get around to replacing the steel line under the ebps do I have to remove the rad? I cant even see how to unhook that steel line because the rad is in the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
Unplug the ebpv. You're probly gonna want to get that hole fixed, its definitely not helping performance

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

Last edited by lndn; 12-02-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok, so I think I took the EBPV plug out, took a photo to show just to make sure... had to take the turbo tube thing off just to get to it....

please look and let me know....
Attached Thumbnails
What one to unplug ebpv or ebps ?-img_20121202_120742.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndn View Post
thanks but I'm not sure what the benefit's are by unhooking the ebpv, when I have unhooked the ebps and seems to have fixed the big air sound... could someone explain?

and when I get around to replacing the steel line under the ebps do I have to remove the rad? I cant even see how to unhook that steel line because the rad is in the way...
The sensor measures backpressure and outputs info to the PCM. The ebpv just opens and closes the flap. I know it's not too bad on the trucks, no clue what it's like on the van, I can imagine it might be kinda squished in there.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 AM

that sure looks like the EBPV plug to me.
under the turbo on the side facing the front bumper. kinda a pain to get to but if you go at it from your right (as your facing the truck) you should need to remove nothing to get to it.

then again in a van body you don't exactly have the room that the rest of us have.

as far as the tube.... you don't HAVE TO replace now however you don't want to ignore it forever.
most people drive around with that tube plugged for years so if yours is the opposite and is always leaking then I see no serious harm. But for the sake of doing it order the part now and when its warm enough out for you to be willing to do it then put the new one on.

if you are like me then it will eat at you that you bought a part and have yet to install it. that way you know you will not forget to do the job when its warm out.

Last edited by KMA Towing; 12-02-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well EBPV plug is off, that boot to the turbo was hard to get back on but got it on...
also plugged the EBPs back in as suggested and going to take it for a run...

will not know for sure in till its cold again
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM

how big is the hole in the tube?

That tube is basically your boost pressure from your turbo. If the hole in it is big then your turbo boost is just leaking out and you basically have no turbo helping your motor.

unplugging your EPS basically told your computer there is 0 boost pressure and then your truck did all it could to boost the turbo and you finally for once felt some boost tho it was mostly leaking out. replace the line and you will truly feel the turbo on your rig.

for now just unplug your EBPV and let her buck... but you will WANT to replace that tube.. you wont believe the power loss you are dealing with.. that little bit you felt before was nothing.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM

well, it's actually not boost. that would be the pressure side. it's the exhaust that feeds the turbo that would be leaking. similar to any exhaust leak at the manifolds or up pipes.
the ebp sensor is actually much more critical than has been explained. the ebps is an input for the pcm, used to determine fuel trim. if the pcm is reading lower backpressure because of the leak, it will defuel. replace the tube and have a look at the sensor. if it's plugged up, replace the sensor as well. i guarantee you'll feel a difference

Last edited by kaya@bernhausen; 12-04-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.