2003 7.3 fuel in coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 7.3 fuel in coolant

Hey everyone, I just posted this but in the wrong section (94-98) like i stated new to the forum, my bad. My 03 has 170,000 miles, started leaking fluid that smelled like diesel, it was blowing out the coolant cap. Ford service said it is an injector cup cracked and letting fuel get into the coolant. Motor runs good and has noy lost any power that I can tell. They said it is about an 1800.00 dollar job, replaceing all hoses and flush coolant. has any one had this happen and or could the fuel be getting into the coolant some other way.Changeing the oil and filters no problem but im no diesel machanic, any replies would be appreciated.

stratsg

Just noticed i posted this in the wrong section, my bad

Last edited by stratsg; 12-01-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: wrong section
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

9 times out of 10, the problem is 1 or more cracked injector cups. quite common on 7.3's. the other possibility is a cracked head.
the method to determine if a cup is cracked is to remove the injectors, pressurize the cooling system, and watch for coolant leaking into the cups.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratsg View Post
Hey everyone, I just posted this but in the wrong section (94-98) like i stated new to the forum, my bad. My 03 has 170,000 miles, started leaking fluid that smelled like diesel, it was blowing out the coolant cap. Ford service said it is an injector cup cracked and letting fuel get into the coolant. Motor runs good and has noy lost any power that I can tell. They said it is about an 1800.00 dollar job, replaceing all hoses and flush coolant. has any one had this happen and or could the fuel be getting into the coolant some other way.Changeing the oil and filters no problem but im no diesel machanic, any replies would be appreciated.

stratsg

I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the injector cups and flushed the system and the problems are gone. I didnt have any cracks in the injector cups but i did have 3 injectors with o rings that had fallen apart. Good luck
Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratsg View Post

stratsg

This is really the only place where fuel & coolant meet, which is at the injector cup in the head. Because the injector has more pressure than the coolant - it's a pretty obvious sign it's a cup failure.
It could be o-rings - but, to check - you're going to have to pull the injectors anyways.
Sad thing is - the cups themselves only cost about $100. The Kit with the cups, the removal and insert tool plus the proper loctite is about $400 or so.
But - the labor to do it (especially with the heads on) is kicker. To properly do it - is about 8hour job - not to mention once the new cup(s) is in, you need to get the injector back in fairly quick, and torqued down to keep the cup seated, then another few hours (if not 24 hours) to allow the loctite to cure/seal properly before you fire it back up.
So $1800 (from any service shop) is about right.

Edit - depending on how long this has been going on - it is wise to replace the hoses (and possibly the waterpump) Just because it does deteriorate the rubber/seals.

Last edited by AzPatMan; 12-01-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.