really need you help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
really need you help, big hissing sound

my truck dose a lot of hissing when I 1st start it up I'm in Canada and its winter and cold, not much power if I just go the hissing gets higher, and the van hardly moves... if I let it warm up for a very long time say 20 minutes its good to drive and hissing goes away... there is no check engine light on to indicate there's a problem .

I think I found the problem and I took a photo of it but its such a small area it would be very hard to get at to fix.. its a rusted line with a large hole as seen in the photo, looking inside the hole its a black looking stuff, dose not look like any type of oil, I need this truck for work every cold morning

please help this is a large 16 foot cube van 1999 7.3
Attached Thumbnails
really need you help-img_20121201_165456.jpg   really need you help-ricksbigtruck.jpg  

Last edited by lndn; 12-01-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 11,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The ebpv is hissing. Normal cold weather warm up.
Go to the 99 7.3 general section, stickies describe it.
That tube looks like the ebs tube. I think dieselorings.com sells them

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Eden Prairie Mn
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
its your EPBV (Exhaust Pressure Bypass Valve) making the noise.
if working properly you can press the petal down 30% or more and it will open up and you "should" move.

after the motor is warm it will open up and the noise will go away.

the crap in the tube can be cleaned out.
remove the tube and stand upwright and fill with brake clean. let stand for 2 hours then blast the crap out with air. should work for you.

the EPBV is supposed to help the truck warm up faster.... worthless if you ask me.
under the turbo on the side facing the front of the truck you will find a 2 wire plug with a metal retainer. move the retainer and unplug when motor is OFF then go start the truck. the EPBV is open when off.
the truck should sound a lot better now

many people gut there EPBV and others just unplug it... then some change the pedestal altogether eliminating it entirely.

the choice is yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks, if it dose no harm I will just unhook the wire...

just one question, the line in the photo has a big hole as you can see, when I unplug the wire do I still need to fix that hole?

thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA Towing View Post
its your EPBV (Exhaust Pressure Bypass Valve) making the noise.
if working properly you can press the petal down 30% or more and it will open up and you "should" move.

after the motor is warm it will open up and the noise will go away.

the crap in the tube can be cleaned out.
remove the tube and stand upwright and fill with brake clean. let stand for 2 hours then blast the crap out with air. should work for you.

the EPBV is supposed to help the truck warm up faster.... worthless if you ask me.
under the turbo on the side facing the front of the truck you will find a 2 wire plug with a metal retainer. move the retainer and unplug when motor is OFF then go start the truck. the EPBV is open when off.
the truck should sound a lot better now

many people gut there EPBV and others just unplug it... then some change the pedestal altogether eliminating it entirely.

the choice is yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
could you please show me a photo of that wire, I'm scared to pull off the wrong wire

thanks again for all the help guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kunkletown PA
Posts: 319
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would say yes since that line is hooked into your exhaust manifold so you will have an exhaust leek if it is not blocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kunkletown PA
Posts: 319
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have my turbo off right now so I can not show you on the truck like you would see but the plug is on the pedestal under where the turbo bolts down and behind/under the intake spider. hope this helps. I could take a pic of the plug with it off the truck if you need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I found this photo on the internet I have not had a chance to go out to have a look because poring rain right now... but I uploaded the photo so you can have a look

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by docweld View Post
I have my turbo off right now so I can not show you on the truck like you would see but the plug is on the pedestal under where the turbo bolts down and behind/under the intake spider. hope this helps. I could take a pic of the plug with it off the truck if you need
Attached Thumbnails
really need you help-unplug.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 11,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That is only the ebps wire, not the ebpv wire. You can unplug the valve wire at the base of the turbo pedestal. Only one there.
Fix the ebps tube and leave it plugged in. the pcm uses it for fueling and other things

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-02-2012, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WOW I unplugged what you call the ebps plug there is 3 wires on that plug,

I then started the truck giving it no time to warm up I put it in drive and went for a drive, absolutely no air sound at all, after driving it a bit I can see the engine is warm and I punched it to the floor...

unbelievable!! no air sound and mega power I have never felt before, I just ( got this van last year ) so I never knew there was more power in till now..

So you are saying regardless I have taken off the wrong wire? and I need to take off the ebpv wire?

there is no check engine light on and no air sound right now so is it necessary to put that wire back on and take off the ebpv wire ?

I was reading here: Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor - Location??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

but that post goes back to 2008


thanks again, I'm excited because I use this van for moving, and when I'm done a move ready to fallow the customer to his next drop off location I'm not able to because the van makes a big hissing sound and very low driving power that's not able to keep up with customers ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
That is only the ebps wire, not the ebpv wire. You can unplug the valve wire at the base of the turbo pedestal. Only one there.
Fix the ebps tube and leave it plugged in. the pcm uses it for fueling and other things

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

Last edited by lndn; 12-02-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors