Join Date: Aug 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 F250 Stalling Out..? HPOP, Fuel Filter, Glow Plugs, Gelling, HELP!
The block heater went out on me a few days ago, haven't had a chance to replace it (or clean the terminals to see if it was that) but I don't think this is the issue. I went out to start my truck this morning after not having it plugged in. I let the glow plugs kick in and after the light went off it started up. It started up fine, NO hard starting. I switched my tuner to high idle (6 pos TS Performance) and went in the house. I probably didn't let it warm up adequately enough as I only let it run for about 3 minutes. It was about 30 degrees farenheit all night so I don't believe fuel could've gelled. As I pulled down the street there was a lack of power at the pedal as usual until it warms up a little. As I began driving it stalled on me. Started it back up and a cloud of white smoke (noramlly what happens when it stalls) puffed out. Then it happened 3 times and I decided it was best if I take it home. So here's what i've come down to:
1. Glow Plugs, Probably not as it didn't hard start;
2. Fuel Filter, Probably could use a change, maybe do this tonight?
3. Gelled Fuel, Never had an issue in any of my diesel owning and never added an additive. It was only 30 F so I have kind of ruled this out
4. High Pressure Oil Pump: I had low pressure about 6 months ago but I asked somebody who knew more than me and he said the pump should last another 2-3 years until it really ****s out
5. Just didn't let it warm up, well I guess that's a possibility but in the past i've never had an issue with it. I usually can not plug it in, start it up, and drive within a minute (I know I shouldn't but if i'm in a rush, it can)
So i'm pretty much stumped. I'm going to have my friend come over with his OBD code reader tonight and see if I have any codes but I don't want to drop $500 into a HPOP to find out it wasn't the issue. Plus, I don't know if I can replace myself. I heard it was pretty difficult.
Also how hard is it to replace the block heater? I heard it might just be the cord. Any info= appreciated