99 F250 Stalling Out..? HPOP, Fuel Filter, Glow Plugs, Gelling, HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool 99 F250 Stalling Out..? HPOP, Fuel Filter, Glow Plugs, Gelling, HELP!

The block heater went out on me a few days ago, haven't had a chance to replace it (or clean the terminals to see if it was that) but I don't think this is the issue. I went out to start my truck this morning after not having it plugged in. I let the glow plugs kick in and after the light went off it started up. It started up fine, NO hard starting. I switched my tuner to high idle (6 pos TS Performance) and went in the house. I probably didn't let it warm up adequately enough as I only let it run for about 3 minutes. It was about 30 degrees farenheit all night so I don't believe fuel could've gelled. As I pulled down the street there was a lack of power at the pedal as usual until it warms up a little. As I began driving it stalled on me. Started it back up and a cloud of white smoke (noramlly what happens when it stalls) puffed out. Then it happened 3 times and I decided it was best if I take it home. So here's what i've come down to:

1. Glow Plugs, Probably not as it didn't hard start;
2. Fuel Filter, Probably could use a change, maybe do this tonight?
3. Gelled Fuel, Never had an issue in any of my diesel owning and never added an additive. It was only 30 F so I have kind of ruled this out
4. High Pressure Oil Pump: I had low pressure about 6 months ago but I asked somebody who knew more than me and he said the pump should last another 2-3 years until it really ****s out
5. Just didn't let it warm up, well I guess that's a possibility but in the past i've never had an issue with it. I usually can not plug it in, start it up, and drive within a minute (I know I shouldn't but if i'm in a rush, it can)

So i'm pretty much stumped. I'm going to have my friend come over with his OBD code reader tonight and see if I have any codes but I don't want to drop $500 into a HPOP to find out it wasn't the issue. Plus, I don't know if I can replace myself. I heard it was pretty difficult.

Also how hard is it to replace the block heater? I heard it might just be the cord. Any info= appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Let the truck adequately warm up and then took it for a drive. Was good for about 2 minutes then it began hiccuping and stalling. YES it is now hiccuping. When it hiccups, when it catches back up there is a slight cloud of white smoke signaling to me that oil is getting burned? Well now i'm confused. Sounding more and more like the CPS but I don't know. It was new just 5 months ago! It has the service engine soon light on so my buds going to get my code for me tonight. How would I know if it's misfiring, not running on 1 cylinder, sounding like HPOP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1999, f250, hpop, superduty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.