2000 7.3 idles ok bad miss driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 idles ok bad miss driving

sorry for the long post...well first of all i ran my truck out of fuel yesterday while gauge reading 1/4 tank..put 10gallons in and got it running but has ran very rough since at a anything above idle..pulled filter cap and checked for trash and how fast the fuel pump would pump into the bowl.pump filled the bowl very slow took 7 or 8 key cycles to fill it.so i replaced fuel pump.now it starts and idles fine with a small stumble now and then but not constant..test drive was a big fail no power then starts missing real bad so limped it back.there is a little blue smoke when idling now but not very bad..any tips of what i can try before towing to the nearest shop which its 1hr away..new to the 7.3 but not to turning wrenches so any help would be greatly appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Running out at 1/4 tank generally means the foot on your pickup tube in the tank has fallen off. If it's worn out enough to fall off, then the screens on the pickup may be getting plugged. Check into doing what's called the "hutch mod" to correct this problem. Here is a link to Guzzle's site. He has a good write up on it.

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

After running out of fuel and changing the pump and filter, it can take a few miles for all of the air to get out of the system. It can run kinda funny until that happens.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll look into that thanks..but the truck will barely pull itself maybe 35 or 40mph when it gets bad.how long should i run it parked to be sure the air its cleared?i have a chip with high idle so that should help i would think.don't want to get stranded I'm working out of town with limited help to get me besides a tow truck if i break down.with 10gl in the tank should clear up soon if that's the problem huh?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM

Air in the lines shouldn't make it run that bad. Any idea what your fuel pressure is? It should be 50lbs or better. Are you sure you didn't kink a fuel line down by the pump?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM

You could try running the suction side of the fuel pump into a diesel can and see if it fills the fuel bowl faster. If it does, then perhaps the fuel pickup may be plugged up too bad to feed the engine under load.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not sure on fuel pressure don't have a gauge..is there a test port I'll buy a gauge..I'm sure no fuel lines were kinked.double checked that.was thinking maybe an injector was damaged from running dry..
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it fills the bowl fine after pump install..just running problem
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've heard running one dry is a great way to kill an injector, but my buddy ran his out of fuel the other day and didn't hurt anything after refueling. I'm interested to see what you find.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM

I think I brain-locked the other night. Haven't been able to think of anything else that could cause this.

Is your parking brake on?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok.installed a fuel pressure gauge tonight to check fuel pressure and monitor in the future..yea I'm working that far from anywhere to even have it checked thanks south tx..anyway I've got 25lbs reading from the lower port on the fuel bowl which I've read is post filter.installed new filter also..that's where I'm at now.tomorrow gonna ruin fuel directly from a5gl jug to pump to eliminate problems in the tank.any ideas where to go from there if i don't get good pressure other than replacing a brand new pump again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.