Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No gauges or throttle help...

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Pipewrench 
#1 ·
First off I hope this is posted in the correct area, I also searched for "relay 303" but didn't seem to find what I'm experiencing.

I have an intermittent problem with my 2002 F250 extended cab with 7.3

On occasion, when I start the truck, it starts and idles fine. However, there are no gauge readings and the throttle will not respond. You can push the pedal in and it will not change RPM's. Another symptom I noticed today is a dinging sound (similar to a seat belt ding tone) with the door open.

This has happened about three times, each time it happens, I pull out my meter and start checking fuses and it will magically go away while I'm in the process of collecting clues.

This time, I checked a few fuses and found some with no power entering or leaving. I thought a relay might be the culprit. I tapped the first relay I saw with my meter lead (relay 303) and the dinging stopped, throttle response came back, and gauge cluster began reading.

So now for my question....when looking through the owners manual I have downloaded I looked for the relay I tapped on.
Relay 303 is the "injector driver module relay".

I do not have a wiring diagram. Could anyone help me with determining if this relay is part of my problem...or could it be a coincidence that the problem resolved when I tapped the relay.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
I have 2 links for you. One is about the connection that caused me to have a problem with my IDM relay and common in the later model ('01-'03) trucks;

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...sion-if-your-truck-like-mine.html#post1343921

The second has to do with the No Gauges & No Throttle and is about the tendency of the wires going to the the OverDrive switch, at the end of the Shift Selector, to chafe through;

https://b7445ba3-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites...JeNoHig2XlB24AUPvYDwYDViSt5_H2&attredirects=0

#3 ·
Thanks! I will start reading.
In regards to the second link, a buddy was driving my truck one day and said it happened to him when he changed gears manually while driving...however he said it blew a fuse and it wasn't corrected until he changed it.
No fuses blew on me tonight...I will read these here in a few minutes.....gotta change the battery on a gas burner :(

#4 ·
Thanks noralph for the articles. I will look for the connection in the first article in the daylight tomorrow. I just ohmed out all my fuses and none were open. Im guessing this time I didn't blow the #45 fuse listed in the second article.

While in the fuse panel with my meter I pulled relay 303. I ohmed out the coil and found about 60 ohms of resistance on the coil. The NC set of contacts showed 0 ohms (direct short) Hoping to see some difference between other relays I checked a few others and found the same values. I'm assuming I just ruled out bad relay :(

With that being said it looked like there were a lot of relays with the same part number. Im going to go ahead and order a replacement to have on hand in the event of future roadside failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.