Engine don't turn over Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine don't turn over Help

I am real new to the site. I just registered this evening. I have visited for a few months. Great place to visit. I just bought a 1999 73 and I have to use the keyless entry to get it to turn over. If I unlock it and try to start it sometimes when I turn the key to start it is just dead. If I lock and unlock it the engine will turn over fine. Could this be something to do with the anti theft system? And if it is would there be a way to bypass it. Like I said I haven't had the truck just a few days. It is a 1999 F 350 4-4 dually with 145000 miles. It looks like it has had good care and it is RED Ha!!! I am new to the diesel trucks. Any ideas would be great. This is a great site and a lot of good trouble shooting . Keep up the good work.
99 Red Stroker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

sounds to me like there is an aftermarket alarm system installed. Often times they use the factory key fob to disarm the starter lockout and allow the engine to be started....look for any splicing into wiring under the dash in the drivers side of the dash...maybe even a small aftermarket module (usually about three inches square and about three quarters of an inch deep)
Old 07-21-2006, 09:33 PM

Smile Thank you Marc

I do have a small unit under the dash on the drivers side. It's got a small red light that flashes. What will I get into if I just unhook it ??? We live in a good area and theft isn't a big thing if you don't leave the keys in the switch. I have read the thread on the cam sensor and I will invest in a spare. Like I said I am new to the 73 stroker. I've rebuilt a few farm tractor and truck engines in my day. Each one has there own thing going and there own problems. Would it be a big deal just to disconnect the alarm? I can't carry the keyless remote as I would crush it in my pocket. HA!! Then I would be walking( not a good thing) Thank you for the reply and good advise. Keep up the good work.
99 Red Stroker
Old 07-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Banned

completely unhooking it would be the only way to make it as it sounds you would like it....

Make sure to COMPLETLY unhook all non factory looking wiring. Basically, anything that is "spliced in" and is non factory needs to come out...unhooking the module may work, but to garantee it, would "unwire" it as well...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:32 PM

I'll get ER Done

Thanks Marc,
As soon as I get a chance I'll get it pulled out and see. Thank you for the input. I had a 96 150 with a 5.0 super chipped I traded in. When I got in the hills with a trailer on I felt I should get out and push HA!! I think those days are over. I will post again when I get it pulled out ( thanks) I have a CD and C tape in my truck. Part of the time the station and the clock don't light up. Could it have something to do with the security system ? It seems to work fine other than that. Thank You for the good info and all the info on this site.
99 Red Stroker
Old 07-22-2006, 06:49 AM
Banned

tough to say if the security system is affection the radio or not, but just kinda pay attention to where the wires from the security module are running, mabe they tapped into the radio illumination wire for the little red light ont he dash or something.....it is possible that it is related......

and no problem on the help man
Old 07-23-2006, 07:51 PM

I'll keep a close watch

Marc thank's for the reply. I'll keep record of the wires and which one was hooked where. Just incase I have something else show up. I didn't have time this weekend to look at it . When I get it done I'll post a reply just incase someone else runs into the same thing. I led my travel trailer a while over the weekend. Kinda nice to just sit and get up to speed and just let it roll.Again thanks for the help.
99 Red Stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.