02 7.3 ran fine, spuddered, ran fine, then DEAD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 7.3 ran fine, spuddered, ran fine, then DEAD

I recently bought this truck (02, 7.3, 199k miles), so I dont have any history on it.

Drove it about 25-30 miles test driving and going to bank and title company...then drove it home about 45 miles.

I've driven it around town a couple times, maybe 30 more miles....

So I've got a total of 100 miles or so and already having problems, hopefully just coincedence and I didnt get a problem truck.

Anyway....about 2 week ago I went puttin around town and on the way home from Lowes it started spuddering on me. I put in neutral and gave it some gas (diesel)....spuddered a bit and then seems to clear up. Being I dont have many miles on it, I haven't put fuel in it I thought MAYBE it had some bad diesel or something but it settled down and ran strong the rest of the way home (5 miles or so).

Got in it again last week to head to Lowes and on the way back, again start spuddering....this time the engine died and I coasted into a gas station. Tried to restart with no luck....just cranks and cranks....every once in a while it sounds like it wants to light off but nothing. So I called a tow truck and brought it home.

Went out today to fool around with it a bit and noticed I was about 2 Qts low on oil......topped it off and still nothing. Cranks and Cranks, the occasional sound like it wants to start and then nothing...just cranks and cranks.

Did a little research on here and read it could be the CPS. Went to Oriellys and got the part....no joy, still wont light off. Still just cranks and cranks...

Any ideas??

I'm kickin myself in the a$$, I had a 97 that ran like a champ and I sold it a few months back when I started looking for the newer body style!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

another question.....the filter in the fuel bowl, how the heck do you get it out? On my old truck you just pulled the lid off and pulled it right out? I was messing with it and the darn thing is stuck in there. Is there a different way to get it out???
Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, now I've checked the HP Oil Reservoir...it's full to the top of the reservoir (not the cap)

Last night I drained the fuel bowl to see if the pump was working....not alot came out but there was fuel.

Today I cranked and cranked, nothing....opened the bowl back up and it's EMPTY.

I can hear the fuel pump under cab buzzing for about 10 seconds when I first turn key but then it stops. I try to start and nothing
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How much fuel do you have in the tank? At around 1/4 there is the possibility the pick-up has cracked or broken and you're just sucking air. Your symptoms sound very much like you've run out of fuel.

If the tank is low add 10gals and retry.

If the tank is over 1/2, or after you've added fuel, take the front line off the pump and see if it's pushing fuel. If not, you either have a bad pump or something wrong in the tank or you have a bad fuel sending unit and it's dry.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

looks like I have a project next week....I have about 1/8th tank. A buddy of mine told me this was a common problem and there were fixes for it.

any mods yall know of?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yep.
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
You can just make it like you want, but this gives you a good idea.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its a long shot but the same thing happened to me. The pump would turn on but not much fuel came up. the previous owner had installed a tank switcher that failed shut blocking fuel line, i just took it out and fixed the problem, i know its a long shot but its worth the 2 seconds just to look at the fuel line to make sure its not kinked or someone installed something that might block it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.