Is this normal ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 03:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to helgaairhead
Is this normal ?

2001 Ex - 230.000 K's, jumps from 750 rpm - 1000 rpm after two minutes.
Even when the EOT reads pretty decent temperature, it still revs up
I've noticed that plp have asked about this before and the replay was - its normal. Is it normal and what sensor(s) are used by the PCM to set the idle?

Have also noticed that the ECT sensor are dead - 0 volt output and a crazy misreading of temperature, funny thing are the dash meter readings are normal. Where does the temp meter get its info - EOT?
How important is it, PCM wice - to have a correct functional ECT sensor?

APS - gives only 78% at WOT. Any way of adjusting the sensor or do I have to replace?.

Helge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to helgaairhead
and heres the answers..

2001 Ex - 230.000 K's, jumps from 750 rpm - 1000 rpm after two minutes.
Even when the EOT reads pretty decent temperature, it still revs up
I've noticed that plp have asked about this before and the replay was - its normal. Is it normal and what sensor(s) are used by the PCM to set the idle?

The RPM comes up during idle for the sake of emissions. Parking a diesel at low idle will allow it to get cool enought to start smoking and stinking,,, not a desired result. There is no single sensor, the PCM has a program in it for proper operation... think of it as a diesel engine app. The multitude of sensors on the truck tell the PCM what is going on with the engine, and the PCM decides how to adjust all the controls on the engine. You already know you have an Accelerator Position Sensor (Ford calls it a Throttle Position Sensor, or TPS), but what you may not know is that it is not a direct contol... it is merely an input from the driver and the PCM decides what best to do with this input, based on all the other sensor readings and the program.

Have also noticed that the ECT sensor are dead - 0 volt output and a crazy misreading of temperature, funny thing are the dash meter readings are normal. Where does the temp meter get its info - EOT?
How important is it, PCM wise - to have a correct functional ECT sensor?

Yup, Engine Coolant Temperature is a real Larry the Liar: It will read some absurd figure like 300 degrees(F), then drop down and start reading more sensible numbers, but they will be lower than the EOT by quite a bit.

APS - gives only 78% at WOT. Any way of adjusting the sensor or do I have to replace the whole unit?

Mine reads 3.85 volts when I bury the foot pedal, some read 4.5, some read almost anything in between... but I haven't seen any of them go to 5V yet. This is normal and another reason why the PCM doesn't take direct orders from the throttle: If the TPS controlled the throttle directly, you wouldn't get up to full throttle. As things work, you are getting to full throttle with the lower TPS max voltage. You don't need one of those.

Last edited by helgaairhead; 11-25-2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Very bad Norwegian spelling.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.