Every single glow plug dead or am I retarded???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Every single glow plug dead or am I retarded????

Ok so e99 f250 7.3 auto, starting in aug/sept here in bc temps still hovering 15-20 Celsius harder and harder starting, got batteries tested at work, the starter doesn't work, ok take it apart get the auto electric place to silver solder new brushes on the Mitzu starter 30 bux whatever and they even took the solid inch (exaggeration) of grease off and sandblasted and painted everything including the inside of the houseing. Starter cranks hard for the first couple days get batteries tested still good, starter starts taking longer to start late oct maybe I didn't clean the sludge when I put the starter together take it to the guys that did the brushes they took it all apart sand blast paint and new solenoid $70 later good hard solid crank but the motor takes a lot of cranking to et going and I start cranking it till the battery goes dead day after day get the batteries tested again good I know the starters great cause is been rebuilt and bench tested. Ok why is it doing this bring out the dvom 12 volts hot side GPR and 12 volts on other side when key is on for the 1 or 2 mins whatever it is now I'm testing gp on the open terminal on the valve cover using the battery as a ground the block whatever I consistently get 0 on my auto range dvom it goes from 0.L on the display to 0.000 when connected to the glow plugs....every single one on both banks

Are all the glow plugs really bad? Would one nearly dying glow plug make the truck fire up for a little while? Till it finally died completely not allowing the motor to start without a ton of cranking?

Things to keep in mind :
*glow plug looked good when I replaced an injector a few months ago not a bunch of ashing or swelling
*the previous owner said he replaced the glow plugs just before I bought it so ill age them between 1 and 2 years
*i am able to get the truck started with lotssss of cranking in the 0-10 degree weather we have now
*in these extended cranking periods I do give it quite a bit of throttle
*yes it's quite smokey when it finally starts

I've finally got it back in the driveway and I'm plugging it in tonight to see if that helps for the morning just looking for insight on the situation thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You're right, No Chance they're ALL bad...

I'm confused as to what you're saying here though "why is it doing this bring out the dvom 12 volts hot side GPR and 12 volts on other side when key is on"

Are you saying the voltage drops when the GPR throws? If so, and it will be a dramatic drop, that would indicate to me that, at least, some of the GPs are Certainly working!

I'm not sure of what the trouble is with your resistance measurements, but, something's wrong if that's true.

If you don't see any difference in voltage, then they're Not in the circuit and drawing the Big amperage they should.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What I meant is a one-side of the glow plug relay always has power to it and check the other side of the Glow plug relay it only has power to It when keys on For the minute or two minutes cycle there is a voltage drop in the vehicle I have not measured it with the DVOM but the lights definitely dim as well as the volt gauge on the dash does go down when the relay is active
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK, so it sounds like they're working,,, the GPs draw close to 200A when first activated and that's a dramatic load to the system that would be hard to miss.

Plugging it in should help a lot, also switching away from 15W oil to a 5W synthetic helps in really cold weather too if you're using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.