1999 F350 7.3 fires but no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 F350 7.3 fires but no start

Hey, new guy here...I have searched and googled, but I haven't found my answer. It's probably because I am new to diesels and don't know what I'm doing. I'm buying a work truck (99 F350 7.3 4x4) that has been sitting for a few years. I read the basics on starting it and did all that. The tach is jumping a little and fuel is there but don't know pressure. I here it wanting to start but won't. It turns over, stumbles a few times and goes back to just turning over. I feel like its going to start the next go around and does the same thing. I ran out of time today and going to try again in the am, but does this sound familiar to anyone? Am I close or do I still have a lot to check. It's more about the challenge and I'm still reading, but if anyone has some insight it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also trying to figure out this phone app. Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Not an answer for you... but someone with a scanner would really help tell you what is and isn't happening. There maybe a member close to you that could scan it for you?

Travis T

Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

when you say sitting for a few years, did you drain the tank? Old fuel becomes pretty nasty . Might want to drain the tank and change out the fuel filter if you havent done that already. Take a look at the fuel filter when you pull it, if your trying to start it with that old fuel i bet its fouled up.

It shouldnt be an issue unless its pretty cold out but you might want to check your glow plugs as well.

Good luck!! Welcome to the forum

Last edited by jackinggear; 11-11-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I read in a few threads that diesel doesn't really go bad and to just add fresh to the existing, so I did that. I thought it would at least start and maybe run rough if the fuel was bad. I'll try draining the tank next AND hire a mechanic with a scanner to help me. Thanks for your help

Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

diesel goes bad.. Put some in a jar and let it sit and watch......it breaks down, changes color, gets moisture in it, turns to crap. Look at your fuel filter as well.

Im sure ill catch some flak for this but diesel can start breaking down if un treated and in improper conditions in 6 months.

Last edited by jackinggear; 11-11-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.