Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

results from testing glow plug resistance - help

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Eco Taxi 
#1 ·
So I have been fighting my truck starting rough in these cold mornings...
I just replaced the glow plug relay since it was toasted and it still started hard this morning ...
I have a 2001 7.3 f350 131K miles
I have new batteries and alternator on it and fuel filter

So i decided to test the resistance on my glow plugs
I unplugged the connector on top of the drivers side valve cover and i was reading and understood to test the first two and last two metal tips since those correspond to each glow plug
I was getting zero on each glow plug i tried

...... correct me if im wrong but my process was...
-the truck is turned off and the key isnt in
- unplug the connector on top of the valve cover
- use my multimeter on the 2 ohm testing setting
- had my multimeter grounded to the negative terminal on my battery - which is the route i was told to use and this worked fine when testing and replacing my glow plug relay
- each time i touched a glow plug pin (plug 1,3,5,7) i got zero

.... any thoughts

See less See more
#2 ·
May be a stupid question, but you did remember to test these resistance readings on the valve cover side of the connector, and not on the connector that plugs into the valve cover, right? Otherwise maybe try changing the range on your multi meter to something higher than 2 ohm? maybe its above the 2 ohm level and it just registers 0's rather than OFL? My other thought is that you didn't have it clamped well enough on the grounded battery cable. test this theory by touching a metal piece on the motor, and you should have 0 resistance when touching the metal motor piece, and ofl when not touching the metal motor piece.

#3 ·
I'll test again and follow up. I'll test the connector plug and where it plugs into the valve cover

#4 ·
Also natereferno what back up camera do you use

#5 ·
it was a cheapy off of amazon, For the price I certainly can't complain works well as long as you keep the little lens piece clean. Great for hooking up trailers by yourself!!

#6 ·
I got confusing results .. On my multimeter I had it set to the 2k ohms
The first two glow plugs on the passenger side gave around .857 each and I couldn't get a good reading from the back two on the passenger side - it'd mostly not read anything but it'd jump around .800s but it'd come and go
The drivers side I got .001 ohms on the 2k setting for all four glow plugs and these readings showed up constant - when I put the positive connector on each one the reading would start off at .300 then I'd drop quickly to .003 then .002 then hold solid at .001 - and all four glow plugs would do is and balance out at .001
..... I'm not good in understanding electrical things
Looking for some insight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.