2000 ford 7.3 weird symptoms - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2000 ford 7.3 weird symptoms

Recently I installed an edge evo 2 on my 2000 7.3 with 135000, it has plenty of power and for about 4 weeks ran normal besides it lopes/shakes back down it idle if I quickly rev it, if I slowly rev it up to 2000 then let off it just drops right down to idle like it should, but if I quickly rev it to 2000 then let of it does the loping. It doesn't do this when programmed to stock but on any of the 3 tunes it does. It has done that since the day I put it on, but recently it has had an intermittent light rough idle, it will idle smooth then jerk slightly every once in a while, you can hear it in the exhaust but the rpms don't change. I have no smoke of any kind (accept black smoke when mashed) no smoke even on cold starts so i'm guessing it's not injectors but I don't know,its throwing no codes either. My real issue is when driving it pulses/surges at steady 1/8-1/4 throttle. It mainly does it between 1100-1300 and 1700-2000 rpm's. The normal injector noise/crack it makes is like ra ra ra ra and the truck jerks slightly forwards over and over agin until I give it fuel. It doesn't do it when accelerating only when cruising, I cleaned my ipr valve and it made no difference. When I unplug my icp sensor it changes the way it runs and the lope back down to idle changes in a good way. all the symptoms seem more noticeable when the engine is hot too. I have replaced my ebps and cleaned the tube(it was very clogged) I got a new fuel filter 2500 miles ago. Oil change 300 miles ago. I have no idea what else it could be I wiggled my ucvh and idle didn't change, the only other symptom I have is when i'm going down a hill in gear with no gas then push in the clutch fast it drops to like 400 rpms then comes back up.I have no idea what it could be any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd think ICP based off your info.
Take off the Edge first to test.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 AM

Ok ill try that thanks for the response, what would be next?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 PM

It sounds icp related to me also but I wonder if the POS edge is affecting icp readings to increase fuel?
Need to have a scanner to watch the icp values both with and without the edge plugged in.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 PM

where can i pick one up? I was thinking of buying a ts 6pos and running the edge on stock and have it just as a monitor what are your opinions?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke1098 View Post
where can i pick one up? I was thinking of buying a ts 6pos and running the edge on stock and have it just as a monitor what are your opinions?
Most guys here (and I agree with them) will tell you that those aren't real accurate readings. You'd be better of with a TS 6pos and a pillar full of gauges. (Which is what I'm doing this month).
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 AM

ya i dont doubt that their inaccurate but would the egt be that off?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Idk how they'd be inaccurate since it uses oem sensors. That also means no egt or fuel pressure unless you add a sensor

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Idk how they'd be inaccurate since it uses oem sensors. That also means no egt or fuel pressure unless you add a sensor
I've read on here in a couple different posts, that they take the measurements from the PCM and then extrapolate it to make the little gauge modules and what not on the screen. From what I've understood, the analog and digital gauges with sensors at the specific points (trans, exhaust, etc) are more accurate and don't have to manipulate the data in order to represent it.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Not sure on that and not to discredit electrical gauges, but I run mechanical gauges whenever possible.
I trust the reading more. This is really a personal preference though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, icp, injectors, ipr, rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.