No guts, 11 mpg, with no codes or running issues. NEED HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No guts, 11 mpg, with no codes or running issues. NEED HELP!

I was getting 19 mpg and now only 11 mpg and was down to 9 mpg. The truck has no guts at all and is just slugish. The service light is not on, no smoke, starts fine, mo miss, no shakes or shutters out of motor, no real noticable problems other than when you get on it or pull a load it feels like a 1500 gaser. and is only getting 11 mpg unloaded.
So this is what I have done.
-changed ebps and tube
-new glow plugs/ found 1 and 3 were out when changed bumped from 9 mpg to the 11 now so it helped but did not fix issue.
-check uvc harness ang connections
-fuel pressure is at 69 psi
-new thermostat
-new intercooler boots and no leaks, makes 17p of boost
-new tranny from ford with only 200 miles on it
-cleaned and flushed intercooler
-check turbo health seems good
-no brake dragging rolls good
This is my thoughts of possable causes. We just installed new rebuilt tranny from ford (to get warranty, $2,000). Now these issues. So I had my local diesel guy check it he scanned it and says motor is perfect and the tranny is all over the place. Which I feel they have the most knowledge here locally and I trust them. So I was taking it to ford to get it fixed under warranty. Then I stopped at my local tranny shop and had him scann it for me for the heck of it being I know him and he would do it for free. He says the tranny is perfect and the motor is the issue or its due to the fact of the 410 gears. well the gears wont justify the loss of power or mpg so didn't listen to that part. So I finaly got it down to ford they scanned it for the $90. And came back with the EBPS and 2 4 6 fail high to low open circuits. They said they would not look further into the tranny being it was showing fine until these were fixed. which I knew they were not going to fix the issue. So I replaced the uvc harness and the ebps sensor. But when I was doing it I found the the number 2 glow plub was fouled. I had just changed all plugs about 20-30 miles ago. So my question is what would cause this and if it was a bad uvc harness like ford says would that foul out the glow plug and cause my issues. Even though the old uvc harness I pulled out does check fine on a meter. So should I be looking for something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 AM

can't get truck setup to show under my name signature?
2000 F350 2X4 DUALY
Edge programer
4" turbo back ex.
k&n intake and filter
4" drop
26" alcoaa rims w/ grappler uhp tires
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM

now the truck has started to do this since the temperature drop in the mornings.
runs on drivers side bank only with cel light on the after about 60 secs it stumbles and the passenger side kicks in. You here it stumble right as I go to get back in truck. It still runs not correct and it blows black smoke on hard acceleration that turns to white smoke once it clears and starts to rev for a few secs.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 AM

I went to do the volt test from the ipc to see where I was at on my psi from the hpop. Found that the four groups of wires coming out of the harness by the 42 pin connect had issues. The ipc, ipr, and oil temp sensor wires had been ground out and melted the casing. They were not broken but the wires were exposed and crossing. I would say that one must have had a issue and touched and caused the others to ground out. But for that to happen that would meen that something linking them to gether would have to have a issue like the pcm or something.
So my question is what would be the likely suspect pcm, idm, or soemthing else? Also if the wire have grounded out enough to melt the coatings would the sensors them selfs be bad? Not wanting to just throw money it to all the sensors if there not bad.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say continue to hunt wiring issues / fix them ... But I'm not sure I just bought my 7.3 6 months ago and am hunting down and fixing a whole pile of problems myself - good luck - continue to Update us
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 AM

well at this time I have put about 12 hours into rewiring the top notch job the PO did on the install of the accessories. At this point it no longer does the limp mode under start with the new ICP. But I still have no codes and no real noticable issues. The truck starts good idles with a little mis and just lacks power across the whole power range. I am currently getting 12.5 mpg, so a little better but still not right. I did find that the VSS wires where cliped at the plug by someone at some point. I found where peaple were saying that if there was no signal from the vss the computer would set the tranny to safe mode and it would not lock the torq converter and possibly start the truck out in 2nd gear. Which that would explain the loss of bottom power and mpg do to I am having to give it around half throttle to just take of at normal traffic speed at a light. So I fixed that and it does seem to shift a little smoother but no real difference.
So after this I babyed it for about 150 miles to see what I was getting and I turned about 11.73 mpg. Then was just sick of dealing with it so I ran it on the hard side for a little over 200 miles and I actualy got 12.52 mpg. And when I take off hard a couple times the overdrive light flashes and the speedo quits. When I say hard I dont meen drag strip I meen just harder than a usual take off. With this hapening it would meen normaly meen tranny. Before when I saw the light I thought it was because the sensor not being hooked up. But now that it is fixed Im not sure that its not the tranny. But the only thing there is tranny is like 1,000 miles old.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 AM

I also found that hwen I did a volt test to the injectors at the uvch. The drivers side all tested at 3.4v and the 1,3 cylender on the passenger side where 3.4v. But the 5&7 came in at 6.7v on #5 and 6.9v on #7. Not sure what that means.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would be concerned with the voltage at the uvch - have you checked all the wiring under the valve cover - I've heard the wiring will go bad ... I'd say wiring issue before injector problem
Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I feel your pain. Pleas keep us posted. My next plan is to check the compression. My CCT is perfectly normal though. If I get an extra few thousand dollars my next move will be to start with the brain, IDM, HPOP then work my way to the injectors. It makes up to 24lbs boost with a SuperChips tuner in HP mode. Pre turbo EGT's on the freeway are at 600-700 unloaded until I hit a grade then they go over 1000. No smoke of any kind at any time. Starts fine and idles fine even on the coldest days. Drives around just fine but has lost the ability to tow my LE3305. Fuel mileage is down from 22 MPG to 10 MPG. When I stab the throttle (towing or not) it seems to just top out and not make any power almost like there is a governor on it. No smoke of any kind! Ford dealer flashed the brain. Didn't help. Here is a list of everything I checked and or replaced. I also have and used AutoEngenuity to check all sensors and systems in real time.

Turbo:replaced
Pressure tested entire cold side and used yard blower to check for restrictions.
MAP sensor: Replaced
Up pipes: new gaskets .
BP sensor and tube: replaced.
fuel filter: replaced.
tank mod:done.
Fuel pressure: 55lbs at wot.
FPR: checked.
IPR: replaced.
CPS: replaced with blue and black.
IPR cleaned and checked.
4" turbo back with muffler delete.
AFE intake.
glow plugs:replaced
#8 injector: replaced
UVCH's replaced
Water pump and thermostat: replaced

Probably missed a few things LOL. I promise once I find the problem I will post. Until then
Old 11-30-2012, 04:42 AM

installed a buddy's idm last night. It is a early 99 with a 110v vs my 120v. but it will atleast give me results. I want to say it feels stronger, but that might just be that I am realy wanting this to be the fix. I can say it is a noticable difference in the way the power comes on now when its stomped. Before it would hit and go and have a steady build from like 30% power to wide open. Now it gos with the same kinda acceleration as before for a sec. Then at about the 30% mark it hits more abrutly like a gaser and then pulls threw the power to wot. And seems to have a little more pull power at the top 40%. So I will be driving normal for a couple days to get a mpg check and will update then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.