New here, slow start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New here, slow start

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, recently bought my first diesel. I have done a search for this issue, but the threads I found either didn't have quite the same problem or suggested a solution that I've already tried.

I purchased a late 99 F250 EXT Cab 4x4 a couple of months ago. Just over 130K miles. XL with a manual transmission. Love the truck. Pulls everything I want it to and is fun to drive. When I bought the truck, it had been sitting for awhile. In 2004, it had 114K on it, and like I said, it's now just over 130K. I got a great deal on it, and budgeted to put some money into it. It turns over great and starts up after 3-5 seconds. Not a long time I know, but my brothers 7.3 fires right up. I figured I would get to know my truck a little better and do some work that may not have needed to be done because it had been sitting. I replaced the batteries, the GPR, all the GP's, and the CPS on top of doing new tires, new brakes etc. It still doesn't fire right up. Cold outside, warm outside, after driving 200 miles and then stopping for gas, doesn't matter. It's always takes a few extra turns to fire. Any suggestions?

Also, anything else that it's just a good idea to replace after it sitting awhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3LCountry View Post
Cold outside, warm outside, after driving 200 miles and then stopping for gas, doesn't matter. It's always takes a few extra turns to fire. Any suggestions?
Mine does exactly the same thing. I haven't figured it out. I've cleaned out my fuel lines and my fuel bowl. I've done almost everything I can think of. I've just learned to live with it. But if it needs to get fixed, I'd like to know, too.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Install a gauge and watch the fuel pressure at startup. The fuel pressure regulator, on the bowl, has a spring, and oring on the piston. If the oring or spring is not working properly, fuel pressure can drop drastically. The pump comes on with the wait to start, then shuts off, once pressure is reached. The pump does not restart until truck starts. If pressure is dropping , would cause longer start.

At startup, try turning key back off, then on to re-energize fuel pump before turning over, see if it makes a difference.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburman View Post
Install a gauge and watch the fuel pressure at startup. The fuel pressure regulator, on the bowl, has a spring, and oring on the piston. If the oring or spring is not working properly, fuel pressure can drop drastically. The pump comes on with the wait to start, then shuts off, once pressure is reached. The pump does not restart until truck starts. If pressure is dropping , would cause longer start.

At startup, try turning key back off, then on to re-energize fuel pump before turning over, see if it makes a difference.
I tried re-energizing the fuel pump. No joy. I'll put a fuel pressure gauge on it next week. Appreciate the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.