CRAZY IPR... random problem need some advice! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow CRAZY IPR... random problem need some advice!

Ok guys love the forum,
Been reading it for a long time and just joined. Worked on cars my whole life and this is my second diesel (I am a GM guy...) Wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the 7.3
I have a weird question I can find the search function

Walk out to start my truck and nothing.
Cranks but no start
Pull out my scanner and showing a p1211 code and look at IPR pressure builds up to 80PSI while cranking (should be 500 to start)…
Check oil, a little low. Add oil
I poured oil into the HPOP started right up. Let it heat up and then shut it down…
Previously before this happen. I would start the truck cold and it would crank and then bogs down (sometimes shutting it off) if It didn’t shut down it would jump up in rpm and run fine with no problems.
Should I replace IPR? Could be just an O-ring I know but since I have it open... or am I in left field here?
I have the front of the truck torn apart to re due cooling system rebuild. (new wp/rad/hoses) I would like to fix this problem for good. I believe my HPOP is working properly. Also I don’t have a 3000lbs gauge to check actually pressures (I will buy one any recommendations?)

Any help would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i wouldnt rebuild the da#n things, i'd buy new. Have you pulled the plug on ICP see if its wet with oil? If so, replace it as well. Check the condition/level of oil in crankcase? Theres a checkvalve under the hpop, need a light to see, but have at it with a 3/8 extention to remove. Might have some crap in it, holding it open, allowing the oil from hpop to drain back.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, makes sense, I just ordered a new one. It was 130... It is wet down there. The connector is kind of shoty looking. The wires going to it are that way also. Do they sell a new connector with wires?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just ordered a 203 thermostat too.... I read about this... a little off topic but still cool

"Until 1996, all 7.3L Powerstrokes that were manufactured used an International water pump and an International short stem 203° thermostat . In 1996, Ford changed to a lower degree 195° thermostat. They changed water pump designs at this time as well. The new pumps required the new long stem 195° thermostat in place of the short stem to properly seat the bypass disk. All 1996-2003 Ford PSD's now come equipped with a long stem 195° thermostat. Recently the factory replacement thermostat available at the parts counter changed to 192°. Our *** 203° uses the correctly sized t-stat with the correct temperature spring so that we no longer have to give up the benefits of running our vehicles where they were meant to run."

Last edited by SupraBo; 10-22-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: noticed I left the site name in the write up per site rules
Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
i wouldnt rebuild the da#n things, i'd buy new. Have you pulled the plug on ICP see if its wet with oil? If so, replace it as well. Check the condition/level of oil in crankcase? Theres a checkvalve under the hpop, need a light to see, but have at it with a 3/8 extention to remove. Might have some crap in it, holding it open, allowing the oil from hpop to drain back.

Whould this explain the bog when starting cold? when i put oil in the HPOP through the sensor I noticed it didnt bog(almost shut down) anymore...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.