2002 7.3 hard start, no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 hard start, no start

Gentlemen, I got a few questions for any and all that can lend advice and expertise. The truck in question is a 2002 7.3, edge attitude, 4in mbrp exhaust, airraid intake, otherwise stock, its an auto and has the tranny temp gauge, so im assuming it has updated electronics.

My issues are as follows: If the truck sits for less than 8 hours or so it will crank fine. If it sits longer it is impossible to crank, the motor turns over, but will not start. My efforts thus far have been: new batteries, alternator, starter, glow plugs, and i tested the gp relay, it tested fine.

If I use a little ether (i know, not a grand idea), the truck will crank, and run hard, audible perhaps fuel knock, and zero power. The accelerator has no effect on rpms until it runs for a few minutes, like a dead pedal. If i can get the truck moving and on the road the power picks up slowly. If i mat the pedal it will smoke and barely move, then gradually pick up in stages, then bam you have full power and it will run fine.

Of note: the truck gets terrible fuel mileage and has power issues even when running normal, egts are astronomical if you lay into it with a trailer, boost never gets above 10psi, this behavior has been typical of the last year or so. It is a farm truck, we run offroad fuel, the fuel filter was absolutely shot, muddy mess, i have changed it twice in the last two weeks. I understand there are many options here, but what i want to know is whether or not the injectors are shot. It seems to me the problem is somewhere in the fuel system, and we had to replace an injector a few months ago. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 07:55 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Injectors could be shot. I would say the fuel pump could be too. What about the oil level? Why is the fuel filter so muddy?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would also be curious on compression.
If the fuel filter was neglected till it was "muddy", what does the air filter look like?

Is there blow-by?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I agree with that

Killing time on here with my smart phone....
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The fuel filter was shot because the fuel, offroad fuel, was apparently pulled from a bad tank, we have double filtration on the tanks and water separators as well. But the filter was bad so i reckon it got bad fuel. The air filter is an open style box and is checked regularly, it never gets too bad. The truck has 221,000 miles on it, I really hope its not a fuel pump, but it makes sense if I have entered injector replacement territory.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No blow by, I think it has an exhaust leak somewhere, kinda gets smoky during cranking.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil level is good, it fluctuates a little if you gotta run heavy down the road, but we check it daily and run schaeffers synthetic.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 AM

If your fuel filter is really bad, the inside of your fuel tank would likely look the same.

Good on the blow-by I would try dropping the tank and cleaning the whole fuel delivery system out. Then see how things go. If that doesnt help then I would think some parts buying is in your future.

You can pull the fuel filter and drain the bowl. Then turn on the key and see how fast it refills. Should be around 10 seconds. Have a friend on the key! I made that mistake and put fuel on the garage floor! Lol. This will give you a quick check on your fuel system.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To be sure, i pull the filter, drain the bowl of fuel, then turn the key to let the lift pump fill the bowl again, timing it at around ten seconds, with the filter out. This doesnt allow air into the system?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM

Shouldnt. I have done it before to check fuel flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.