Lost all power on my drive to work today. Need help!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 04:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost all power on my drive to work today. Need help!!!

Hey guys so I was driving to work this morning and lost all power. One by one, first the radio then my gauges, then the heat then the windows then interior cab lights then my abs light came on followed by my airbag light. It started shifting very strangely and the OD light was blinking. i was able to limp it to work and shut it down and when I tried starting it again it was dead, there was a buzzing sound coming from under the dash and the gauges all went to max reading. I'm thinking its the alternator? I just bought the truck and the kid that had it before me put in a brand new 110 amp alternator...which i am guessing is very small and inadequate causing it to fry? what do you guys think? i want to get the thing fixed before it gets dark after work tonight!

Where can I get a bigger alternator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like an alt to me. All those things will start happening with low voltage.

You need to charge the batts and test them first (test one at a time while NOT hooked up). They meed to be good before testing the alt.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:23 AM

The batteries are not in the newest condition and i just bought the truck used. The truck is sitting in the parking lot at work dead with the windows open...I think I might just go buy new batteries at lunch throw them in and drive to the closest autozone to get the alt tested. Thoughts?

The same exact thing happened to my buddies truck and he said it was his batteries? He has a 2003 with stock alternator and 90K miles. My alternator has maybe 1000 miles on it and is less then 1 month old...could it just be the batteries?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 AM

That is up to you. I am not in a position to spend 200a bucks on something it might not be but you arnet gonna make me mad if you want to. It is coming into winter so it is probably a safer bet.

As far as if it could be bats, it is highly unlikely that both died at the same time but one could have been junk most of the summer and not really show up till now. Also, if one bat gives up the ghost, it can drain the other bat pretty quickly. BUT, the truck should have been able to run on the alt alone. I suppose if the bat died hard, it might overwork the alt.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 AM

Yeah I plow with the truck in the winter time and i'd rather spend the $200 now and move on knowing I have 2 good batteries.

Thats what happened the truck ran fine the entire way to work even after all the electricals shut off....once i got to work i let it idle for a minute of so to cool down a little and shut her down....she wouldn't start back up....which makes me think the alternator is good and the batteries are junk? If the alternator was junk wouldn't the truck just shut off because the batteries would be dead from no charge and the alternator wouldn't be supplying any power??? thoughts????
Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 AM

Yeah, you got it. I missed a little bit of the first post about shutting it down at work. Was thinking it shut off on you. Yeah, I would replace the bats but still have the charging system looked at but it does sound like the alt was working.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 AM

i'm new to this mechanical injection system...so i'm not sure how or what needs power. Yeah she ran fine, no sputters hiccups or anything in the motor itself let it idle, idled fine no issues shut it down then no start....so you guys think if I get new batts and take it to get the alternator tested i'd be ok?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What year is your truck?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:17 AM

Mechanical oil but electronically activated. The pcm will shut down under a certain voltage and (guessing) the other computers onboard will shut down first in an effort to give the pcm the most avalible voltage. I think you should be fine to replace the bats and then drive to get the alt checked out. If you have a voltage meter handy, you can just check the charging voltage while running. It should be between 13.5-14.5V. I check with the headlights on to introduce a load to the system.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler View Post
i'm new to this mechanical injection system...so i'm not sure how or what needs power. Yeah she ran fine, no sputters hiccups or anything in the motor itself let it idle, idled fine no issues shut it down then no start....so you guys think if I get new batts and take it to get the alternator tested i'd be ok?
Theres nothing "mechanical injection" about a 7.3

Your alternator is fried. When your driving and lights start randomly going on/off and the gauges start getting goofy, thats your ECU losing power and trying to kill off the most unimportant accessories to preserve ECU power. then when power is so low, the ecu starts freaking out and getting stupid because it doesnt have the power to run. If you get it started again, stick a probe to the alternator output. Wait 2-5mins before getting a reading for the GP's to shut off. Then test the idle volts and the volts while @ different rpm's.

Your batteries are fine, your alternator is fried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.