02 7.3 power loss when towing heavy load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 7.3 power loss when towing heavy load

I have a 02 F-250 7.3 and I experience power loss while towing. It seems to always happen while towing 5k lbs+ when Im coming to a hill and the truck downshifts. I am usually to the floor with the accelerator. It will start to pull and accelerate fine then comes the loss of power. It also makes a pretty loud noise under the hood, not sure if its the turbo or possibly the fan clutch... I can back off the accelerator slightly and the noise will usually stop then slowly regain power and speed. It soes seem to be worse in the summer than the winter. My truck has a cold air kit and no muffler, other than that bone stock. Im considering adding a chip but I think this would only make my problem worse....Any help would be great!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

turbo surge? think you need a wicked wheel..(poor mans way to fix). Or step up and get the ported housing, ATS for 400 buks. The w.w cured my towing.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Timmyboy is right, the WW is the "poor mans way" as it just shifts the compressor map. The ATS ported housing is the right way to fix it on a stock turbo and is a nice upgrade.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking but I thought surge was more of a low rpm issue. I know there are several aftermarket impellers to install. Is the wicked wheel the best? And can you do the WW and the housing or does one defeat the other?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

WW and housing defeats.

If the price was not an object, only the performance gain, the ATS housing on its own is what you want.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I sent you a PM with more detailed description but basically the WW can cure surge because the wheel flows less than the stock wheel. It shifts the entire compressor map to the left.

The ATS housing only shifts the surge line to the left, making the map broader, eliminating surge, and increasing performance.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Help please similar but maybe different?

Thanks to anyone who has ideas, first off; second, I am not a forum user and there are probably rules to follow that I do not know, so if I err...sorry.
As with the first person who wrote I too have a "miss"?? when towing up a grade.
It is not like a spark plug wire or that kind of miss more like a "surge" sort of slight but felt more in the seat than anywhere else not noticeable in any gauges (boost, tach, egt, ). Not WOT ( I never go WOT, quite) and if I back off of the throttle a little the surge or miss will often go away or diminish. Also seems worse if trans is not locked up, or is in 3rd(?), not o/d. The feeling is almost like bucking on an uneven asphalt highway. This only happens up a grade. This has been going on a long time but seems worse in last couple weeks. Not fuel filter related, there have been several filters replaced along the way w/out any difference. EBP sensor was replace in May w/no change, ICP sensor replaced three weeks ago and seemed better for about a week...
I tow 38 ft 5th wheel all the time, most recently east bound from Knoxville to Nashville and then to Memphis and there are a few pretty good pulls on I-40 along that route that caused the problem. Additionally, my exhaust brake is innop most of the time and I have convinced myself that the problem there is the accelerator pedal as I can "coax" the exhaust brake to work if I "manipulate" the throttle just right. Could that be the miss also?

'02 7.3 F350 4wd crew cab 310,000 miles, Banks turbo w/ bighead, banks exhaust, Banks trans-command, Banks Big Hoss chip (happens with chip in or out), Banks exhaust brake (all Banks stuff has about 170,000 miles on it).

Fuel econ same now as 5 years ago, oil usage also same, injectors, (original), were tested three times in last 8 months by three different shops, (1 Ford dealer), buzz test also three times, fuel pressure tested three weeks ago w/inline gauge on highway, fuel pressure solid and strong.

Paying for repair is not issue, paying for nothing being accomplished, well that is a different story.... any help here is appreciated.
bjlw
Old 10-18-2012, 02:30 PM

bjlw...sounds like fuel restriction in the tank. Pick-up screen gets all crutted up. Not a bad "mod" to do, even if it ends up being "surge" your experiencing to

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

It seems that, depending on "load", the W.W. will cure or wont curethe problem. My trailer, grossed at #8500, made my turbo do whiplashes. Installedthe wheel, no more problems. Another member, towing 13.5K, installed wheel..(same kind i got), and didnt help. Went the ported housing route, and cured it all...
Old 10-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMB2 View Post
I sent you a PM with more detailed description but basically the WW can cure surge because the wheel flows less than the stock wheel. It shifts the entire compressor map to the left.

The ATS housing only shifts the surge line to the left, making the map broader, eliminating surge, and increasing performance.
NMB2,
Thanks, I do not see a PM??? Do not know for sure what a WW is and I have a Banks turbo (wheel?), it was installed I think in the turbo housing w/ a Banks Big Head; are these compatible, replacements or....(the ATS thing I mean).
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Banks wheel, XDP wheel, wicked wheel..all same thing. Banks Big head is nothing more than removing the redline off the stock wastegate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.