Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2002 f350 Coolant Loss or Worse???

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  AOx4 
#1 ·
my 2002 F350 4x4 has 195k miles on it and I believe it has the original water pump, hoses, etc..

I changed the oil this past Sunday and did not notice any issues with the cooling system. Drove back home on Monday approx 380 mile trip with what I assume was no issues. I don't have any gauges except for the factory dummy gauges. However, Oil pressure, Trans temp, and coolant temp were all normal.

On Monday while driving back we stopped for lunch and my wife asked me what a vibration was. To me it just felt like the A/C compressor turning off and on. Later on I felt it happen even with the A/C off but i didn't think much of it.

On Tuesday my wife drove the truck on some errands and when i got home i noticed green antifreeze dripping from the truck. I checked the overflow tank and squeezed the upper rad hose and both were empty.

I checked it again today when I had some time and both upper and lower hoses are empty. I hope i just have a bad water pump but I can't seem to see where it is leaking from. I can only see that there is some antifreeze dripping from behind the harmonic balancer which i am hoping is just where the antifreeze is collecting before it drips.

I took a couple of pictures of the water pump area as well as the harmonic balancer. If anyone has some input on this I would greatly appreciate it. I can afford to replace the cooling system, but not if it is anything more than that.

I also checked my oil level and it appears that I may be 1 or 2 quarts overfilled :doh:

Thanks again
Justin

See less See more
#3 ·
remove the belt, and lift up on the fan assy. The leak is coming from the "weep hole" ofthe water pump. Time for new one. RockAuto has what Ford uses, AIRTEX. 85 buks std. If you dont have the upper rap around hose, get that too, from Napa. Also, a new t-stat.(195* / 192*) and housing. try'n to reuse the original one will leak.

#6 ·
You cant see the weep hole with the pulley on. If it looks like its coming from behind the pulley, then it is the weep hole. There is nothing you can do at that point other than replace the pump. Get an OEM one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.