2000 f250 really low boost, no power, no boost leaks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 f250 really low boost, no power, no boost leaks?

My truck seems to have really low boost. Averaging around 10 psi at 2500 rpm going 50 mph at a 6% incline. I checked for boost leaks with the homemade boost leak detector. Found nothing. All the IC boots are fine and not leaking. The intake boots are fine. The up pipes are fine. I even verified the boost gauge is accurate. So there's no leaks. Disconnected my waste gate vacuum line and it hit 15 psi. Any suggestions as to what I should do now? Maybe adjust the waste gate rod? Someone told me bad mapp sensor? I really don't know but I feel I should average around 20 to 25 psi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Garrett 38r.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Boost depends on how you drive. If you are just cruising up the hill empty, your boost will be low. If you are accelerating up the hill or have a load and are giving it some fuel you will see about 18 psi on a stock truck. If the truck is modified on stock injectors you could hit about 30 psi.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
Boost depends on how you drive. If you are just cruising up the hill empty, your boost will be low. If you are accelerating up the hill or have a load and are giving it some fuel you will see about 18 psi on a stock truck. If the truck is modified on stock injectors you could hit about 30 psi.
This is at wide open throttle. It hits 10psi and then cant go anymore. Ive gunned it on flat ground and got around 10 psi. I had a loaded car trailer on a 4% incline and got 12psi. Something is very wrong here.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any suggestions fellow powerstroke owners?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Wastegate could be weak.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:14 PM

same boat man. I even swapped turbos, and still 10psi with redline hooked, 15-16psi w/out it hooked.

I did the 10k mod for ****s, and hit 22psi with redline unhooked. So i bought an ICP sensor and still the same low numbers. Think'n of try'n MAP sensor or possibly a weak hpop..dunno.

A mamber found a boost leak at where the plenums bolt to heads. Maybe try that, soap it up and pressure system again.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have recently rebuilt the turbo. And replaced the ICP sensor. Still only peaking at 10 psi. I will re pressurize the system and check for leaks again tomorrow. I checked my waste gate operation today with a compressed air and a gauge. It begins to move the rod at 5 psi then more at 10 psi its in its fully opened point at 25 psi. So shouldn't that mean I should be peaking at 25 psi?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM

i'll be the guinea pig to this man. Since already tried the ICP, why stop now, right. Gonna pull the trigger on the MAP, and go from there. I'll update when available. That dont work, then the IPR, if not again, HPOP. Trucks 13yrs old, has the original sensors/units in now, so i think i got my use outta them.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
i'll be the guinea pig to this man. Since already tried the ICP, why stop now, right. Gonna pull the trigger on the MAP, and go from there. I'll update when available. That dont work, then the IPR, if not again, HPOP. Trucks 13yrs old, has the original sensors/units in now, so i think i got my use outta them.
Sounds great! Keep me informed. I re-pressurized my system with soapy water and found no leaks again. There is an extremely small leak on my up pipe. That shouldn't drop boost so much will it? I even disconnected my air box and let it breath free thinking maybe its just air restricted. No change is boost psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.