post injector oring replacement startup problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
post injector oring replacement startup problems

i replaced orings and the truck started right away but seemed like it was missing on one. so i shut it off for about 10 minutes. on the restart it seemed like it was only running on four and was really running ruff. i checked the hpop reservoir and it was full. checked for codes and had none. it starts up and when i rev it it acts like it starving for fuel or oil and eventually dies.
the hpop doesn't seem to be bleeding down. i did notice that the oil pressure gauge takes a little while to start to read while cranking. the reason i replace the oring was because i had oil in the fuel filter housing. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Is it white smoking heavily when you first start it then starts to die off? Sounds like you didn't get an injector seated and compression leaked by and took out one of the fuel rail orings.....
Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 PM

yes, it is smoking a lot of white smoke
Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM

fuel rail orings on the injector?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Yes. You didn't get one of the injectors seated all the way and now compression is bleeding back into the fuel rail. It's causing a whole side to not get fuel which is why it feels like it's only running on 4 injectors.

Go under the truck and disconnect the fuel pump wiring. Then pull both the small fuel lines going to the heads off from the fuel filter housing. Crank the engine and one of the lines should start pumping pressure off. Trace the line to whichever head and this is the side that the injector is messed up on. You will then have to pull all the injectors to figure out which one it is. You will probably be fine with just replacing the orings on that one injector.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM

ok sounds good, i will look at it tonight
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 PM

you can remove the vc's, and run a straight edge across the tops of the injectors to see what one/s are not seated also. While your there, do the 50 cent mod.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 AM

Justimix, thank you! you knocked that one out of the park! I pulled the two fuel lines and found that i had air coming from the 1,3,5,7 bank. i pulled all the injectors from that side and found #3 to be the culprit. the copper washer hadn't even been compressed, so just reinstalled them and after a little cranking she fired right up! Thank You.
Question for you though. Is it normal for the oil gauge to take a while to register pressure while cranking after an injector install? i haven't got the truck out of my shop yet to drive and am hoping that its just trapped air that is doing this.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Good deal! Yes, it's totally normal for it to take a while to build up oil pressure after having the high pressure oil system open. It will have long cranking times to start as well until you drive it for about 20 miles so don't sweat it. After that you should be right back to normal!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM

Ok, i need to get a few more things before i button it all up then i will take it on the road. Thank You For your help it is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.