Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

needin some advice

691 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MyFirstRide 
#1 ·
Hi all..ok so here is my story..my dad has a 2003 7.3L it has 191000 miles on it. He told me that its been hard to start and that he has to let the fuel pump cycle with the key several times to get it to start and once it does it shoots out white smoke. Now i am a diesel mechanic for a local freightliner shop but i have not done much work on powerstrokes. I do know that it is nearly the same as the CAT huei system. I also believe that its hard to start cuz its losing its prime thru injector leakage..which would cuase the white smoke..now do these injectors have anything similar to the CAT trim files that need changed by a computer or is this something i can do for him in my garage? Also are the glow plugs inside or outside of the valve cover? Also what are some average prices for injectors and glow plugs? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
you want the oem/motorcraft glowplugs. The autolite crap, will swell inside the ports. The gp's are located under the vc's. Its possible that the hpop is bleeding down, thus giving the hard starts. Hpop should be about 3/4in from the top, with oil.

Could be also, a bad fuel bowl filter, plugged up screen inside the tank or weak pump...

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Pages

#3 ·
Thanks for the info on the glow plugs. Ill be sure to get oem plugs. Now if its the Hpop that really doesnt explain the large amount of white smoke comin out right after start up..that tells me that there is a significant amount of raw fuel sittin in the cylinders thats gettin pushed out the exhaust. I appreciate all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.