Help... New to the diesel world and in over my head - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help... New to the diesel world and in over my head

I've got a 2003 F-250 with the 7.3. On cold starts, regardless of outside air temperature, I have to allow the engine temp to come up to normal operating temp for it to perform normally. If I crank it and take off, it does good up to about 30 mph then starts to miss and vibrate extremely hard. If I feather the throttle, it will ease back up and run fairly smooth until the temp comes up while driving. Problem appears to be getting worse as it is becoming increasingly hard to start. No check engine light, no smoke, no clue. Replaced the fuel filter and air filter... glow plug relay next with my fingers crossed. Any help would be greatly appreciated... please be detailed as I am still diesel ignorant and have no clue what most of the shorthand on here means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

oil filled to hash marks? Possibly a fuel issue. Have you done the Hutch mod? You can remove the fuel return line from the FPR, and shoot compressed air, to try and clear the internal screen filter...

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Also, may want to remove the valve covers and do the 50 cent mod...

Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

good starting points, thanks... and now I know what the famous "50 cent mod" is.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Banned

What is oil level? how old is oil? whats blowby levels look like? If you sit in neutral when its doing this and rev it to governor, what do rpms/motor/smoke look like? How many miles? Stock injectors?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
What is oil level? how old is oil? whats blowby levels look like? If you sit in neutral when its doing this and rev it to governor, what do rpms/motor/smoke look like? How many miles? Stock injectors?
thanks for the oil idea... apparently you never trust that the kid at jiffy lube knows that a f-250 takes more oil than a honda civic. so, old problem solved, but it's still having to spin entirely too long before it fires off. any more words of wisdom?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Banned

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!! No, you dont take your $5,000 motor to JIFFY LUBE! Aside from that, they charge too much, and they probably did NOT use the correct oil these motors call for. Aside from THAT, it's probably not synthetic.
How long does it crank for? It's a 7.3... they are pissy and need to build oil pressure before they fire-off fyi.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!! No, you dont take your $5,000 motor to JIFFY LUBE! Aside from that, they charge too much, and they probably did NOT use the correct oil these motors call for. Aside from THAT, it's probably not synthetic.
How long does it crank for? It's a 7.3... they are pissy and need to build oil pressure before they fire-off fyi.
Well, as of now, and in the future; it's full of T6 Rotella. It's spinning for about 10 - 15 seconds before it's firing off. Prior to the oil issue, it was cranking faster than this. Could something have gotten damaged that's leading to the new cranking problem?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Banned

I doubt it.

Check fuel pressure, FPR screen, ensure bowl is full when trying to start, glow plugs, gpr.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

check batteries.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
check batteries.
That was probably the problem. After I got it cranked and did a test drive, I let it sit and idle for a few hours and everything seems to be back to normal. It cranked fine leaving for work today and ran great instantly... didn't have to warm up or anything. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hard to start, misses, rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.