Strong fuel smell... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strong fuel smell...

So i have had a very strong fuel odor since i installed my full force injectors. I also replaced the injector cups at the same time. It smokes white on a cold startup, and eventually clears up after 5-10 minutes of idling. However it always has a very strong smell of unburnt fuel. No loss of coolant or oil. When idling i checked the temps of each cylinder and they all seemed to be within 10 degrees of each other. When i run a contribution test it always shows #8 weak (cam sensor?) I swapped 5&8 injectors, no change. Any diagnostic help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

i need to include 1 minor detail, lol! The first time i installed the injector cups i didnt have one in all the way and when i tried to start it it hydro-locked. I decided to replace all 8 cups again and used a bigger hammer the 2nd time. Maybe i damaged an injector or the rings?? I guess ill try a compression test next
Old 09-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you smell fuel maybe you're leaking fuel somewhere?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

The fuel smell is from the exhaust, when its cold it will burn your eyes
Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you custom tuned for those injectors? Maybe they are flowing too much or the fuel just isn't all getting burnt until it's warmed up.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Yes, i ordered the injectors and tuner from jody at the same time, so he wrote a modified stock tune for the single shots. I always start on stock and leave it until the truck is in closed loop then switch tunes, but it doesnt matter which tune im using, its still not burning all the fuel
Old 09-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did it hydro loack while turning it over by hand? or did you lock it using the starter? If it was done by the starter you could possibly bent a rod and not getting full compression and that would make one smoke and smell of unburnt fuel. Never seen a powerstroke with bent rods, but have seen several detroit diesels and they'd puff with a bent rod.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

I did it with the starter, im worried it may have damaged the motor. I started having this problem this spring when i did the repairs, temps in the 40's-50's in the morning, but as the summer came in the smoke went away. Now that its getting cooler again the smoke is back. Regardless of the temp its still not burning all the fuel
Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_blue_oval View Post
I did it with the starter, im worried it may have damaged the motor. I started having this problem this spring when i did the repairs, temps in the 40's-50's in the morning, but as the summer came in the smoke went away. Now that its getting cooler again the smoke is back. Regardless of the temp its still not burning all the fuel
Compression test will reveal of there's a rod problem along with measuring somehow with injectors out. I remember a detoit diesel with a bent rod it would puff on one cylinder. If it's puffing smoke you may be able to loosen exhaust manifold enough to get some type wedge in there to see which cylinder/s are puffing and if it's one that had cup problem I'd beat on a bent rod, don't take much. Hope for the best is all I can say.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, i will do a compression test next. Whatever the problem ive got to get it fixed, i wanna try to trade this truck for a 6.0 with blown head gaskets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.