Help! 7.3 hpop leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! 7.3 hpop leaking

Last Friday I parked my truck at school and went to class and after my class which is an hour long. I go to my truck to go to work and find a huge puddle of oil under the truck and whole engine cover in a thin film of oil on top. So I get it towed home and started into the truck the next night. Dad and I spent an hour trying to get the truck to leak and nothing so we took it around our block roughly 4 miles. Finally I find the leak and it the line furthest to the back on the hpop and now a stream of oil is coming from it . So I took the resvior off and the fuel bowl. I change the o-rings and some other things while at it. So tonight I replaced everything and put it all together and fired the truck up ran it on high idle then reved the engine. As of now no leak so I go back around the block at first ran I easy then fast to simulate every kind of driving i do. Bring it back in the shop and same exact thing with same line it seems like I did exactly nothing. So I manage to squeeze a wrench in and take just the fitting off and my o-ring is missing like a quarter of it. Should I go to Ford and buy their o-rings which is 30 bucks for like 5 rings or is my fitting bad or has a bur on it that is cutting my ring. Any help is great I'm tired of driving the spare ranger around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 PM

its not the o-ring, thats making it leak. You need to remove the hpop, get urself another set of orings, and LOCTITE..cant remeber exact loctite # to use, but its the sealant that makes it not leak, not the o-ring.

Riffraff Diesel: HPOP o-ring kit w/ 7 o-rings
Old 09-27-2012, 04:39 AM

Alright thanks what about I was missing a quarter of the o-ring when I took it off will the locktite fix this also
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Went to Ford and just their kit I paid 28 bucks for 3 o-rings and some loctite. The number on the loctite is 680. May be a dumb question but what is the loctite for and how tight should the fittings be like snug or what
Old 09-28-2012, 06:44 AM

i would think, bottomed out. Loctite is used to "seal" the threads. 28 buks..whatta rip off.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Yeah sad thing is I know the parts man at the dealership so I got a discount and he told me that the dealership buys them for 20 bucks. And mind you that's with taxes
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM

Update on the situation used new o-rings and the loctite and let it sit for 24 hours and started it and ran the truck at different speeds and acceleration and she is dry of oil. The o-rings from Ford or aftermarket are a lot harder than what you can find at the hardware store. Now I know for next time that spend a little extra and don't go the cheap and assume that something may work. But thanks for the help guys I will be on here asking question about any job I do to the truck so I know what to do.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to late but checkout dieselOrings.com 28.00 for the kit? maybe get it for future problems.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM

I know this thread is old but i have a question and I think I know the answer but am not for sure. After fixing the oil leak on the hpop lines I put a couple hours of drive time on the truck and checked the oil level and everything is fine. Well last night I was about a quart and half low (but still in the safe zone), also the turbo pedestal leaks I think, but its a very slow leak. So my question is in a month time my oil level dropped quicker than normal for my truck is that due to me fixing the oil lines and the system is working out air caused by fixing the leak. Thanks guys
Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM

Does anyone have an idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.