Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Blowing smoke when hot

980 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  longbed550 
#1 ·
Hello all, longtime Ford guy, new to the powerstrokes.

I am refurbishing an F550, made 7/2000, 7.3 2WD 201WB, 415K rebuilt once, been sitting 4 years.

I got her running after a new HPO line.
Runs rough:
Starts OK and shakes badly.
Put foot deep in it and over the course of 3 minutes it will accel to 2000RPM
Once a bit warm, she will Rev to redline
But she hangs slow at 2300->2600, then picks up quick to 3200 redline
Once warmer, she pours blue/white smoke out above 2200.
Once warm, she still shakes somewhat, but not terrible​

I am assuming I need 1 or 7 replacement injectors. That is definitely the cause of the inability to rev up when cold, and likely the cause of the hang up around 2500RPM. Maybe I can get away with some fuel treatment.

What is the cause of my oil smoke? I am hoping it is injector O-rings. The engine had not run in 4 years. I split off the turbo out pipe and she still smoked good.

Of course any help is appreciated. I am really looking for reassurance on the smoke being from the O-rings, but I have not driven the truck to see if I am losing water, but this smoke cloud lingers. There is NO smoke when reving to redline when the engine is cold (or just warm enough to get the injectors to free up).

It is going to be an interesting truck once she is done. 14' removable pickup truck bedside panels on a standard cab 550.

DJ

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.