F250 installing a used Short Bus motor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 installing a used Short Bus motor

So my 2002 F250 motor is "dusted" at 213K miles, major white smoke at startup, lots of blow by, low compression on #8, etc. Most likely it is the rings. So I began my search for a new or replacement motor several months ago. Due to cost reasons, I settled on a used motor. I ended up purchasing a motor out of a 2001 "fleet maintained" "Short Bus" with 170K it is being delivered complete with a van turbo, and all accessories. "It ran good when pulled and had no blow-by."

I really just want this to run well when I install it. My mechanic buddys are telling me I need to take the heads off, inspect it, new studs and head gasket before I put it in the truck. While I do see the validity in this as I do not personally know the exact history of the motor, is this really necessary with a 7.3 that I intend to keep mainly stock?

Also, I have a recently rebuilt (20k ago) turbo with an ATS housing, wicked wheel, and EBPV valve delete pedestal on my truck now, should I use this turbo on the new truck, or switch to the van turbo?

Is there anything else I really need to do before doing this motor swap?

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wouldn't pull the heads. I don't really see a point. It was probably pretty well taken care of other than the fact that it was probably driven hard.

I don't believe you can use the van turbo. I think they are set up a little different and will not bolt up to your exhaust. The valve covers will also be different and you'll need to swap those from your old motor.

Also I'd rebuild the oil cooler since the motor is out. It's probably going to leak if its not already with that many miles. The o rings get dried out and crack.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Also swap out the injectors cuz they will be different too. And I've seen trucks with 500k with the original oil cooler so you might get by with that.
Remember the van engine is what was put in the early 99 trucks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Schnot, Thanks for the tip on the oil cooler, it looks like a dirty job, and I would much rather do it while the motor is out of the truck and mostly empty of fluids. I will reuse my valve covers and turbo. Glad you said there is no reason to take the heads off. Do I have to change out an exhaust manifold also?

700, The motor is from a 2001 e350 van, does it not just have AD injectors? I would eventually like to get some AC's or stage 1's and a chip from one of the tuners on here, need to save some $$$. For now, I just want to put it in and get it running without the ton of smoke like I have now. This thing has to pass smog here in CA soon.

Is there anything else I need to do to before the swap to make my life easier down the road?

Thanks again to all on Powerstroke.org, I have learned a lot here.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 09-28-2012, 06:43 AM

what you want for the old motor? Good luck with the swap.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Timmy, when the new motor is in and running, I will sell the one with known bad compressioin in ##8 for fair market value as a rebuidable core.

Is there anything else I should do before swapping the motor?"
Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 AM

when you remove the vc's, you'll know what injectors are inthere. I'd also, if $$$ allows, do the up pipes. My opinion, is the FELPRO replacement gaskets are as good as gold. I just did the swap to a buddys truck, and felt as though, we just saved 500 buks. But, its your call. Anyway, uppies i'd take a look at to, with motor out. Also, depending on weathers' you see, maybe the oil pan, either glaze it with POR15 or replace with new and line X it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
motor, short bus, swap, turbo, van

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.