leaks leaks leaks....need answers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaks leaks leaks....need answers

so heres an understanding of what your dealing with. i have a pre 99 f250 7.3L 6 speed manual, completely stock with the exception of a pyro guage.

ok now heres the deal....im about 9 months of experience into deisel trucks and im only asking so i can gain a further insight as is to what i am dealing with. i pressure washed the entire engine and bay top to bottom, side to side, nook, cranny, and crevass. (when the engine was cold, of course) just to get rid of all the caked on dirt and grime and oil it has collected since god knows when. and also to figure out where these leaks were coming from.

so anywho long story short, i have got 2 for sure leaks and one that i am absolutely befuddled by. the first one is right where the oil pan mates to the the block right underneath the front main seal. the next one is the massive leak...its right where the air filter intake tube meets the turbo. and the third one is still in question i believe its the cap for the power steering fluid is so bad its leaking and dripping all over my track bar to frame mount and all over my differential.

anyways....what would you guys recommend and steps you would take to fix these leaks i have described? i will post some pictures up tomorrow because as of now its to dark to get a good picture with my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Check your high pressure oil rail plug on the drivers side head next to the turbo, mine leaked and it spewed oil all over the intake tube near the turbo.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Clean the front of the engine totally, and run the truck and maybe have a buddy rev the engine to make the oil move faster and leak sooner. You get on the front top side and underside and start looking for that leak. Easiest way to find it.

Now, on the case where the oil pan is leaking, well, that's your biggest problem,.,...oil pan cannot be removed with out taking engine out of the truck. So, I would go through and see if you can tighten the bolts up and see if it stops the leak. If not, youre probably gonna have to go the route of taking the motor mounts loose, and other components loose , take hood off, and use a heavy engine lift or overhead winch and raise the engine up high enough to get the engine pan dropped free so you can scape the old gasket off and then apply either ford grey gasket maker or a new oil pan gasket and cinch it back up. Other than that, a total removal of the engine is in order.......
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Perfect. Thank you! I will see what I can't find tomorrow. Hopefully tightening a few bolt corrects things. And out of curiousity....what am I looking for in order to correct a high pressure oil rail plug?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's an interesting video, BUT I have to warn you about this guy,,,, he makes Great Videos, that Does NOT make him infallible though. He's got some really GOOFY theories (not about this though) So, don't take him as your Guru, as many do Confirm his advice on anything else he says

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
Old 09-24-2012, 04:59 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Just change the o rings on the bolts. Its simple really. Use the vitron o rings only! They hold up to heat and the oil.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well **** guys.....sorry for not posting pics.....hahhahahaha! But, yeah, beer and technological procrastination got the best of me. Anywho, with the help you guys gave me I figured out where the leaks were coming from and how to resolve them. The major one was coming from the drivers side high pressure oil rail plug on the drivers side. So I replaced that and the passenger side as well (why do one when you can do both? That's just how I feel about it.) And then I tightened my oil pan bolts and that gave me no sympathy. But now that I replaced both oil rail plugs the gasket that dude talks about in the video is leaking also. So im gonna replace that this weekend when I jack the engine up and reseal the oil pan. Wish me luck in this endeavor! Hahahaha. But thank you guys for the help and I will post back my progress and where it got me.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Glad you found the oil leaks at least

Killing time on here with my smart phone....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.