No Start 2001 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Start 2001 7.3

Having some problems with my 2001 F-250 7.3 Diesel. It will not start. I have change the CPS. I have checked HPOP pressure it is between 3200 to 3800 while cranking. Fuel pump was changed about 1 year ago and haven't driven much since and can here it running. Fuel Filter was replaced same time. I have changed out glow plugs, relay, and harnesses. Have tried changing out IDM. Has new batteries. I can set and crank on it forever and nothing. It is not chipped or programmed. At a loss at this point I am guessing it is something electronic but don't have a computer to plug into it and none of the local shops here do either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Are you getting a wait to start light when you first turn the key on? If it's making ICP and has fuel pressure, it must be an electronic issue. I'd check the PCM fuse to be sure the PCM is getting power.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Verify you actually have fuel though (just because the pump & filter are a yr old doesn't mean there's fuel). Use the Water Drain (yellow lever) and dump the contents into a can (over the top of the pass tire, 3/8 metal tube ends against the motor) roll the key On for 15secs. and redrain to see if you've been delivered sufficient fuel...
Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob@DP-Tuner View Post
Are you getting a wait to start light when you first turn the key on? If it's making ICP and has fuel pressure, it must be an electronic issue. I'd check the PCM fuse to be sure the PCM is getting power.
I am getting wait to start light for about 10 seconds or so. I have also checked all fuses under dash and hood. All were good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Verify you actually have fuel though (just because the pump & filter are a yr old doesn't mean there's fuel). Use the Water Drain (yellow lever) and dump the contents into a can (over the top of the pass tire, 3/8 metal tube ends against the motor) roll the key On for 15secs. and redrain to see if you've been delivered sufficient fuel...
I did this and It refilled with fuel.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 PM

How's the IPR look? Has the "tin nut", that holds the coil on, come off? Does the plug look good & the wires going to it still well insulated?

If your '01 does NOT have a Trans Temp gauge in the cluster (a sign it has the updated electrics and this won't apply) you should see cranking rpm on the tach as you try to start it.

Also, are you saying you see almost 4,000psi from the ICP while turning it over on the Starter? Try unplugging it, as a test, and the PCM will set a default value for the IPR to run with...
Old 09-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I must have upgraded electronics cause no trans temp. I checked IRP it looks good. The pressure readings was actually with a mechanical gauge plugged into port on head.

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catturbodiesel View Post
I must have upgraded electronics cause no trans temp.
I'm sorry it wasn't more clear... Sometime during the '01 run the electrical system got a major upgrade. This included a Trans Temp Gauge and things like the digital odometer. If you DO NOT have that you Did Not get the upgrade.

So, you SHOULD see cranking rpm on the Tach if the CPS signal, that the engine is turning over, is getting there. Do you see that?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No i am not seeing it move i changed the CPS(with new one) this morning that was after i tried my spare which was new and had never been used. I even traced CPS wire to make sure it was not rubbed or anything else.

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM

So, that might be an indication that the PCM isn't seeing the engine turning over. Since it's a requirement that, at Least, 100rpm be indicated before the PCM will trigger the IDM to fire the injectors, it would never start....

I'd look further into this, you should see the tach needle move up slightly as you crank it over. Here's a very basic wiring diagram, in it the CPS is called the "CAMP" sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
No Start 2001 7.3-2000_7_3l_wiring_diagram.jpg  
Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks I will start with that and see what I can find. Could it be the PCM that is Bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.