another glow plug issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 350dieselsmk
another glow plug issue

Hey guys,
Haven't posted on here in forever. my gloplugs in the truck are way out of whack. both of the replays in front of the turbo have power on the line side and nothing on the load side when the key is turned. some times when it is around 60 degrees out side the glow plugs will kick on but other than that i have nothing. its going to start getting colder and i am going to need them soon. anyone have an idea of that it could be? i don't want to go and buy a new relay right away because both of the relays are doing the same thing which makes me think it could be something else. i know one of the relays is a glow plug relay not sure what the other one is.
any ideas would be awesome
thanks
Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 AM

the other one is for the heating coil in the spider.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 AM
Premium Member

The second relay is for the AIH (Air Intake Heater). Like docweld said, it is in the spyder. It usually doesn't kick on until certain requirements are met. This is what riffraff diesel says the requirements are:

Ambient temperature must be below 32F
Engine oil temperature (EOT) must be below 131F
Vehicle power must remain between 11.5 and 15.0 volts
Parking brake must be applied
The transmission must be in Park or Neutral
Glow plugs must be off

From what I've heard is it is basically there to clear up any white smoke after cold start ups.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Read through this to diagnose if you are having a problem or not. Also realize that the WTS light and the relay are in NO Way connected. It's ON when the GPs are Off sometimes and OFF when they're On sometimes

Troubleshooting GPR & GP's
Old 09-15-2012, 07:05 AM

if it is infact a pcm problem what action do i take? dealership?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 AM

I'd be sure it wasn't the wiring first though, trace it right up to the PCM connector, see if the PCM itself is supplying a Ground Path or not to the relay..

Then, either spring for a whole new PCM (ouch!) or make your GP system a Manual one with a switch You control to engage the relay.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have a 03 7.3 powerstroke and i pulled the valve cover off to see if my injector harness was unplugged, but instead i found a glow plug blew out of the hole (dummy before me didnt torque down tight) and i have a big dent in the top of the valve cover and the connection from the harness that plugs on the tip of the plug is destroyed, can i just splice in to change the one glow plug connector or do i have to get a new harness and wires for all 4 GPs?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM

any one know of a good manual glow plug switch write up? ive linked mine back to the pcm.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 AM

Shouldn't need much of a write-up,, pretty simple thing to do.

The 2 sm terminals on the relay are for energizing the magnetic coil in the relay (that causes the contacts to close and power the GPs). One of them has battery power (+) to it with the key ON. The other one supplies Ground (-) to complete the circuit (Violet maybe, disconnect them both to see which one has the (+)) and is all the PCM does to turn them on. It supplies Ground to that relays coil.

So, all you need to do is to have a toggle sw in the cab that takes that wire that was going to the PCM (-) and grounds it when you need the GPs. It would be nice to have some sort of indicator light that let you know they were on, so you don't forget and leave them on...

On a cool morning, flip the sw for around 30 sec before you crank. In the summer you shouldn't need them at all, in the Winter let them run for a min or so before you crank and another min after it starts. You'd be your own PCM!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:13 AM

Another thought... Before calling the PCM the problem, it makes the decision for using the GPs based on the EOT sensor (Engine Oil Temp) in the back of the HPOP res. IF that were bad, it's possible the PCM just isn't "aware" it should be using them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.