Fuel bowl leaking .... again, time to MOD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel bowl leaking .... again, time to MOD

Hey Guy, a couple of years ago my Fuel bowl where the fuel filter is located on top the engine was leaking.... I spent a lot of money getting it fixed with another by mechanic before i started learning a lot about modifications of these truck. Man did that suck, i could have done the mod then had i known.

Anyways. It is leaking again so now i am looking into doing the Fuel mod that removes the fuel bowl. I read a while about a modification to the fuel system that would replace the fuel bowl. Not sure if it is the Hutch and Harpoon mod if something different. I know i can probably do some searches on this site but at the moment i dont have a lot of time and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. here are a few questions i have regarding the mod.

1. Will the hutch and harpoon mod replace the fuel bowl or is there another
2. is this mod very complicated or is it easy to install? i am pretty mechanically inclined, but i dont know diesels that well
3. is there ia general ball park cost to this mod?
4. does the Fuel system mode REQUIRE a Fuel Pressure gauge? or only recommended?
5. If there are many different Fuel modifications that can be done, which is the best or most recommended?

Truck is in sig. '02 F250 2WD 7.3L - I do plan on keeping this truck for a long time and i do plan on performing other mods like the PHP chip, new larger injectors, new larger turbo, etc. So based on this what is recommended?

thanks for any info you have to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 AM

im pretty sure the hutch and harpoon mod has to do with the pick up in the tank. when it comes time, i think i am going to use the kit from Irate, he does a nice job and i wont have to worry if i did it right. and then you get regulated return also.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM

thanks cowboy, but is there a mod that would remove/replace the Fuel bowl / filter housing? thought i read that somewhere a while back
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM

jake will probly make whatever you need, but i know driven diesel makes a kit i think it can be had for around $600 with no filter. i am sure there are others. but there are also threads on self made kits if you want to go that route, you said you didnt have much time so i was giving you the easy way out if you are planning on bigger injectors in the future i would definatly do a regulated return while you are at it.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM

Ok and yeah always busy... not much time to spare, but i definitly want to do it right... So a Regulated Return is the way to go then... i do remember reading and discussing this type of mod a while back. Does the RR include removing the stock fuel filter bowl? and replacing it with something else?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM

it can go both ways, there is a strait RR, then there is RR with bowl delete, and there is the full blown systems with pump filter RR and everything. it all depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.... like always.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM

I gotcha, guess i need to start price comparing, definitely looking at the bowl delete. tired of fixing my stock bowl that keeps leaking. guess i will get a price on the full blown system while i'm at it. Any suggestions/recommendations on company to buy from? You listed Irate in a previous post. They offer the full blown systems? Any company i should stay away from? oh and thanks for the info, big help
Old 09-14-2012, 09:55 AM

i am no expert, heck you have been a member longer than me, but i guess i read too much I think irate is well respected, i seem to remember reading somewhere that the Air Dog systems had some problems but im not sure of that. I have herd nothing but good stuff about FuelLab equipment(which is what irate uses) i think the driven diesel stuff is respectable for the price. I feel like we are having a private conversation here and i wish someone with actual experience would chime in. all i know is what i have read in my own research, as i plan on doing this soon myself.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 AM

Cowboy no worries. You threw out some good suggestions .. now that i read them i am remembering the names. Will just do some price comparisons. When do you plan on doing your? I wasnt planning on mine anytime soon but this dang leak will force me to do this mod very soon.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM

my wife said i can spend the tax return this year , and i have a long shopping list LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.