7.3 Dead miss and rolls the coal...... plz help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Dead miss and rolls the coal...... plz help

Hey guys I have a 2000 7.3L that seems to have a dead miss to it and puts out a lot of black smoke at times. If standing in front of the truck the engine idles smooth but if standing at the rear or in the driver seat it has a dead missing sound that none of the 7.3's Ive owned have had.. The miss will clear out as driven but still sometimes has it through the low end range. Also while driving around 10mph it will have a small "lunging" feel and will even lose pedel sometimes driving up the road like you just unhooked the pedal off the truck?.. Truck has oversized injectors(not sure what size:/ ),edge juice att,5inch exhaust with muffler turbo has around 80k on it. I drained the fuel bowl and it seemed to help a little for a bit. I think Im gonna change the oil and fuel filter tomorrow and see what happens. Does this sound like one of the sensors?Icp?Ipr? Maybe even the fuel transfer pump? Sorry such a long post,Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 12:31 AM

So I changed the oil and filters and it seemed to help some. Then got to thinking,accelerator pedal sensor? So I wiggled and pecked around on the acc pedal sensor and it seems to not be idling as bad but I can't say for sure of that is the problem. Can a acc pedal sensor cause this slight dead miss and touchy touchy gas pedal? Pedal also will just go dead while driving sometimes. The codes that came up when I checked them was p1211? And the p0221 acc pedal sensor. Any suggestions to what I need to try next? Thanks a lot
Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 AM

Did you do the mods to the truck? did this problem start after the mods?
I would think with bigger injectors, you should probably be running a custom chip from someone like TW, PHP, DP, Swamps, etc. That might be causing the misfire sound.

As far as the ACC sensor, I think you can hook an Ohm meter to it (while disconnected) and slowly go from idle to full throttle and see if the meter has a nice smooth change in numbers. If it jumps around then the sensor is likely bad. I was also thinking that these trucks have another switch on the ACC pedal for telling the PCM when the pedal is at idle. I could be wrong on that one though.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 AM

No I did not do the mods if I had done them the edge would have never been around it lol I have plans on selling the edge an buying a dp.

Yeah I will prolly try that then with the meter,are these prone to go bad? and yeah I believe your right cause there are two switches on the pedal for some reason,wonder what that idling sensor would be called? Thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Well, getting rid of that edge could resolve most of your complaints.
the intermittent "no response" from the acc pedal is probably different though.

I have no idea what the other switch is.
I haven't really heard of the tps going bad but it is possible.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Could it be possible that the cam sensor be causing this pr
Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Could it be possible that the cam sensor be causing this problem? It was replaced before me with a parts store sensor. . . .
Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 AM

It is a possibility. Fairly cheap to replace. It seems that it is hit or miss on getting one that actually helps the engine run smooth.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Yeah thats true I am gonna get that ''parts store'' cam sensor off there and toss this edge on CL. I just hate to throw 65 bucks at it and not know if that will fix anything. And I started to notice something else the other day,my battery light started coming flickering like the alt plug was lose or something well yesterday the batt light came on and stayed on and well now my alternator is shot... Wonder if that could have anything to do with this idling issue? thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM

CPS is only around 20 bucks the last time i saw. Go to an International dealer and order one. It should be blue and I have heard good things about it.

Glad you are dumping the edge but you will probabaly need a different chip to run the truck with the bigger sticks.

The alt. problem might have contributed to the running issue so maybe fix that first and see what it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.