03 7.3 rough running issue. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 7.3 rough running issue.

I thought I'd throw this out to see if anyone could point me in the right direction, maybe something I've overlooked. Sorry in advance for the long post.
I'm helping my brother with an issue that he is having with his 03 F250 7.3L. The truck is completely stock with 88,000 miles on it. The problem started a couple of months ago where the truck started running rough and low power while driving and idled rough. I used my Autoenginuity scan tool to see what was going on. I found cylinder 1 and 3 where failing the cylinder contribution test and a IDM failure code. The truck also exhibited hard starting with ipr being commanded 65% and taking about 7 seconds to start building icp. Once running they both looked normal. I checked the under valve cover harnesses and engine harness visually and through the pinpoint test from the IDM connector and they checked out ok. I found no chaffed places on the harness. So I decided to replace injectors 1 and 3. The truck ran great for about 500 miles and then started to do the same thing again along with the hard starting issue. I drove the truck and had it fall on it's face with the ipr being commanded 65% and very low icp. The PCM stored a P1211 ICP lower or higher than desired (Engine Running). I started checking the high pressure oil system and replaced the ipr valve. This took care of the hard starting and stalling issue. The truck now starts like a champ hot or cold, but still intermittently runs rough. I also have replaced the IDM since it did have a fault code, but it did not make any difference other than the code is now gone.
I have also looked at the fuel system. I have 55 psi at the test port in the head with it dropping only to 50 at wide open throttle. It did however a couple of times take 10 to 15 seconds to build pressure when starting. I cleaned the pressure regulator and replaced both check valves. I have also replaced the fuel pump. Pressure seems to be holding stronger now.
I have also done a compression test since that could also cause cylinder contribution codes and found all 8 cylinders between 400 and 420 psi.
Now after all this, the truck still has the rough running issue which comes and goes. Autoenginuity shows everything normal whether it's running bad or good. Cylinder 1 and 3 is still showing 3 to 5 percent deceleration and failing CCT. It was doing this even after replacing the injectors. I'm now at a loss and hope someone out there has seen something like this before and can give me some insight on what is going on. Thanks again and sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update, finally found the issue. Thought i would post and maybe help someone else.
I noticed the issue would appear when the truck was below 1/4 tank of fuel. I dropped the tank and found the pickup had slipped down just enough to suck air when the fuel level was below 1/4 tank. I replaced the in-tank pickup and the truck has ran great ever since, even at lower fuel levels. Long live the 7.3!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for the update - always good to share
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.