Good lope or bad miss? Please help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good lope or bad miss? Please help!!

Hey guys I am looking at a couple excursions and I'm about to possibly purchase one of them. The one I want Is an 02 and I have a couple of concerns about. It has around 230k. Has oversized injectors and turbo were installed back about 100k ago but the guy doesn't know what size but he had the service records from the guy before. The HPOP is stock as for as I know. His wife hauls kids around in it and its hardly ever hotrodded. It has an edge juice attitude with a 5inch exhaust. When he pulled up to Let me check it out I notice a dead missing sound coming from the exhaust BUT when ideling but,the engine seems to idle pretty smooth. It has a huge 5inch Donaldson muffler and I'm just wondering if it may just be the 5inch muffler making the awlful dead miss sound. It ran good and strong driving just that weird dead miss sound when ideling. Could this be a sign of some fairly high cc injectors? Muffler? Electric fuel pump? Any suggestions? Also the edge monitor wasn't showing much boost around 2.5lbs but it ran great and pulls strong. Sorry if all this sounds confusing. Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Banned

5" exhaust isn't huge. Thats a medium sized exhaust. 7.3's have a natural lope to them, yes.

Ask for receipts of "big injectors" and "big nozzles". Otherwise he's prolly bs'ing you.

If you were only pushing 2.5psi, that truck has problems.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
If he really is running larger injectors but only a edge Juice for tuning that could be the problem right there... Need actual tuning for larger injectors on 99-03's not just a off the shelf tuner
Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Banned

^thats exactly what I was thinking too.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 PM

A 5inch exhauspretty pretty big exhaust system,to me anyways. I didn't know they made any larger diameter exhaust system. Where can you get a 6inch turbo back exhaust for a 7.3L?
I seen some paperwork as to where the larger injectors where installed at 132k. Yeah the edge was going to be the first thing to go if I bought it.
Yes I am aware of the choppy 7.3 sound I've owned a lot of them but this sound was different,it could have been the muffler for I haven't heard a 7.3 with a standard performance 5inch coffee can muffler. Yeah the low boost readings had me concerned too,wonder if it could just be the edge not reading correct? It really seemed to run too strong to actually be running low boost. Hopefully I can get this thing cheap.lol thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Lowdown89 If I were to get this thing wonder how I would get it custom tuned correctly without knowing the size of the injectors? Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker001 View Post
A 5inch exhauspretty pretty big exhaust system,to me anyways. I didn't know they made any larger diameter exhaust system. Where can you get a 6inch turbo back exhaust for a 7.3L?
I seen some paperwork as to where the larger injectors where installed at 132k. Yeah the edge was going to be the first thing to go if I bought it.
Yes I am aware of the choppy 7.3 sound I've owned a lot of them but this sound was different,it could have been the muffler for I haven't heard a 7.3 with a standard performance 5inch coffee can muffler. Yeah the low boost readings had me concerned too,wonder if it could just be the edge not reading correct? It really seemed to run too strong to actually be running low boost. Hopefully I can get this thing cheap.lol thanks
Anything under 5" sounds anemic to me

You saw paper work for larger injectors @ 132k miles? Then what kind of injectors were they and who installed them

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker001 View Post
Lowdown89 If I were to get this thing wonder how I would get it custom tuned correctly without knowing the size of the injectors? Thanks
You cant. If you cant figure out what kind of injectors they are, your gonna have to pull one and send it in to have it flow tested and torn down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.