Oil Pressure gauge drops - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Pressure gauge drops

Hello folks. I have a 2000 F550 7.3 that has a oil gauge that drops to zero at or above 2500rpm in gear or in neutral. Engine sounds fine but it will smoke also. No codes found also. Any ideas. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought a oil pressure gauge and installed it at the top pf the high pressure oil tank. it reads 50 plus but when the engine is at operating temp and you rev it up slowly to just over 2500rom the gauge starts to drop. The higher the rpm the more it drops till the vehicle gauge zeros and the oil light comes on. I've orderd a new oil pump and hope this is the problem.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Today I installed the new oil pump behind the harmonic pulley. Started it up and all was well till it got up to tempurature. Rev it up to 2500 and higher and the oil pressure gauge drops instantly and the light come on. The added oil prssure gauge attached to the top or the high pressure resoivor drops also. New hpop and turbo installed. #8 injector relaced and new vcgasket/ harness replaced. Codes are P1294, P0284, P0476. At idle my icp is 468.92 and duty cycle is 11.72. At 2500rpm it is 1286.85 and 21.09. Oil and filter is new and at leval. I know that installing the new vc gasket and wiring should have gotten rid of the po1294 but hasn't. Any advise and direction would be apprecieted.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you cleared codes?
Also, I bet you replaced the #8 cause there was a code for it when, in all actuality, the CPS caused that code.
Have you tried the simple thing of replacing the oil sending unit and checking the harness?
P1294 - High side open bank No. 2 (left)
P0284 - Cylinder 8 contribution/balance fault
P0476 - Exhaust pressure control valve performance

None of those are your issue. I'm not sure why you did a new turbo, or even an HPOP. Your ICP/IPR looks ok to me. Did you do a new UVCH on both sides of the motor? Did you replace just the UVCH or the pigtail feeding it also?
Monitor oil pressure from another spot. Maybe near where the oil sending unit is.
Maybe there is a bad pressure regulator on the oil cooler housing. Maybe there is a broken cooling jet inside the crank case that is just gushing oil. I'm not sure. Just ideas.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I took of the right valve cover and replace the harness/ gasket. I left both covers off and started the engine. I noticed alot more oiling on the right bank and when i reved the engine the oil sprayed all over the fender and wall from the right bank only. I decided to pull all the injectors out and have them sent out for testing. Will know Monday.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 AM

was gonna say, a good spot to get o/p with gauge, is the port off the oil cooler.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 AM

injector o-rings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.