Turbo or motor problem??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo or motor problem???

Recently bought a 2000 SD with the 7.3 @ 100,000 miles. Towed our 5,000 lbs. trailer up a pass and the motor made some baffling air sound that came from the drivers side of the engine. The performance was impressive, held OD and at about 1,800 rpm (awesome)!! It really only made the sound when the turbo was really being pushed hard. The sound was like extra air trying to escape and it was real loud, I worried if people I was passing (lol) were wondering what the sound was... Not sure if they could hear it, but I guess so. Any way, I was wondering if it may have been an internal turbo or motor sound that I am hearing from the K&N FIPK? I have looked everywhere and the air filter seems to be the only thing in that area that could even make that sound.

This sound also exists sometimes during normal driving when the Trans/motor downshifts too. It seems like in that scenario its purging or something. I have googled blow off valves and or wastegates, but I don't even know what I have or if it's operating correctly.

HELP FOLKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 04:50 AM
Banned

What were your gauges telling you? Sounds like some good old fashioned turbo surge to me.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The turbo has a factory wastegate setup to it so when the turbo has excess air built up it doesn't need when you let off the gas, it let's it go. The sound is normal and if it wasn't making that sound, we'd have a problem. As long as you are boosting good and your turbo makes that sound, your turbo side of the engine is working flawlessly.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My gauges were normal. The sound wasn't normal though, there was something going wrong. I guess I should google turbo surge and possibly look for sound bites to see if that is what was going on. It may have been something inside the turbo and my air intake was its outlet, it's microphone. That makes sense because yesterday I was just looking at my engine bay, looking for possible areas and when I romped on the gas and then let off I heard the air intake suck hard and that was exactly where the sound came from this past weekend. What is turbo surge and how awful it is?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobenator View Post
The turbo has a factory wastegate setup to it so when the turbo has excess air built up it doesn't need when you let off the gas, it let's it go. The sound is normal and if it wasn't making that sound, we'd have a problem. As long as you are boosting good and your turbo makes that sound, your turbo side of the engine is working flawlessly.
I get the wastegate purpose, but this sound was happening when I was pulling up the pass and the turbo was getting its legs stretched. I never let off the pedal because I had my cruise control on. I think that there may be something internal not operating smoothly or out of alignment because it almost sounded like bursts of air in a pattern of some type. It's very difficult to put into words. The only positive thing was the RPMs were very low for the pass/load and it screamed up the pass.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Banned

I think we need a video. Your descriptors aren't doing me a whole lot of justice here, bud.

Turbo surge will show the boost gauge going back and forth really quickly; it will snap the shaft in half if continued.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't have a boost gauge, so I have no idea what my boost is doing. I have 2 voice memos, want me to email them to you? That's the only option I have for the memo to be sent.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

thats why I asked what your gauges were doing and you said they were normal.. I didn't mean your fuel gauge! lol.

If you had proper gauges on the truck this would be much easier. Sounds like turbo surge to me.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is your email (if you don't mind) and I will forward the sound clip.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Banned

PM'd you
hdofdrtgrf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.